Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle valve cable adjustment.

rdgfx3

Corvette
2008 Silver Coupe
I am having a little problem keeping my T.V. cable in the idea setting.I adjust it,and get great response.Until I floor it.Then it won't shift soon enough.It reverts back to a position better reserved for a moped.No reasonable response on full throttle.I have to get out and readjust it.

Did I stretch it out?This is getting ridiculous.;help

How are you initiallly adjusting the T-V cable? Are you sending the ratchet teeth home, so you cannot see any of them when viewed? Then, are you manually cranking the throttle plate by hand to...WOT?
Check the cable ends. Detect worn elongations at the connection points. Is the T-V rod distorted, or is hanging up in some way?
Remove the cable, (at the throttle plate) and feel if the cable moves freely and returns by the T-V's spring.

According to the HOLY BOOK

Paraphrased.
Engine off..car cold, throttle closed

Press adjusting tang, manually push TV cable sheild ( housing) to the back stop of the mounting bracket.

Press adjusting tang on cable assy ( this releases the lock on the cable sheild)

Slowly open throttle plates to WOT.

Cable sheild will move FWD.

Release adjusting tang.

This is the FACTORY adjustment... which I find a little loose......
I personally go 3 teeth further back.....

Vig!

Hmmm....

Press adjusting tang, manually push TV cable sheild ( housing) to the back stop of the mounting bracket.

Ummm..

Press adjusting tang on cable assy ( this releases the lock on the cable sheild)

Ok.
If I'm reading this right,there are TWO adjusting tangs?Or just the one.

The housing is what I push back in towards the back of the engine and that is simply the outer shield of the cable ,right?
If that's correct on my part,then I have been doing that part right.

If there is another tang that actually locks the Cable then I missed that.I'll have another look in a few minutes.

Thanks Man!!:w

There's only I adjuster

and it's the metal kinda circle thingy which is spring loaded that bites on the side of the TV cable.

And yes the HOUSING ( sheild ) is what moves..not the cable in the adjustment procedure.

Vig!

OK,I think I follow you.I was not pressing the tang in while going to WOT.So cable housing and all were being pulled right back out where they started from.I'll try and let you know in about an hour or so.Gotta take a drive to east Texas.:bu
I'm going to work,if you can call it that.:w

General statement

The tighter the TV valve adjustment the higher pressure internally.. the tighter the shifts.

Vig!

Something is not right.It very well may be me.:Silly
Here it is from my 1990 GM Corvette Service Manual.I am doing this exact procedure.

Page 7A-13
Reset Procedure

1.Depress and hold metal reset tab.(OK)
2.Move slider back through fitting in direction away from throttle idler lever until slider stops against fitting.(Yep)
3.Release reset tab.(Allright)
4.Repeat step 2 and 3 of adjustment procedure.
Which states:
2.Rotate the throttle idler lever to the "Full Travel Stop Position"
3.Slider must move (Ratchet) toward lever when lever is rotated to "Full Travel Stop Position"(It does this)
4.Release lever(Uhhh...OK)

The problem remains,it ratchets out too far.and I lose my part throttle downshifts and detent downshifts.
Cntrhub wrote:

Check the cable ends. Detect worn elongations at the connection points. Is the T-V rod distorted, or is hanging up in some way?

It *looks* good.It pulls smoothly.T-V rod is straight and operates without binding.

Remove the cable, (at the throttle plate) and feel if the cable moves freely and returns by the T-V's spring.

That will be my next step.

And Vig wrote:

Slowly open throttle plates to WOT.
Cable sheild will move FWD.
Release adjusting tang.

I personally go 3 teeth further back.....

Yes,it performs great when i push it back in a couple of clicks,BUT when I hit WOT,it ratchets out and takes my downshifts with it:cry

I..uh,..well,...hmmmm... :confused Somethin'just ain't right.

I'll remove the cable next and see if its allright as the smoothness.(Is smoothness a word?):L

Sounds like bad teeth

On the outside of the cable.....

Nothing for the adjuster to grab on!

Vig!

I did something right.What,I'm not sure.But it's doing OK now.

Thanks for the help.:BOW

:w

T V Cable Trick....No Guarantee!!

The deeper the valve is in the case, the poorer the up-shift will be in the cable from 4th to 3rd instead of 4th to 2nd.
Full throttle the linkage by hand. Set the cable as tight as a rope!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom