Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ticking sound from engine...

Corvette
1981 Corvette Spectramaster Blue
Ok, I had heard a ticking sound from the engine. So I took the valve covers off and sure enough a lifer was loose, so I tightened up like I have before and that always got rid of the problem...until now...

The ticking is not subiding, is there something else I may have to look at? I am not too familiar with building engines and all but I do know the basics of keeping it running. Any ideas of what else may be making that noise?

Thanks much,
John D.

Does the tick show up right away? or only after the engine is at operating temp? You could have a cracked exhaust manifold.

:)

I had this same problem last year. I replaced the cam, lifters and rods etc. The cam lobes were very worn. Now the engines purrs!! no ticking, I am pretty sure that it was contributed to the cam. Good luck with yours

john,
check out my last thread on tick problem.
I also popped off the covers and loosened the rockers untill ticking,tightened 1/4 turn,wait 10 seconds tighted another 1/4. It still ticked from right bank. I assume vave has major deposites or as mentioned earlier, cam may have an issue. I'm seriously thinking of fulling original motor and dropping in a 502 or better yet 572/620 crate..
Good luck,
Jim

Thanks guys, I pulled the valve cover again about 4-5 hours ago and retightened the one valve giving me issues and it seems to have stopped for now. But I am with you I plan on pulling this engine and dropping in a ls2/3 after I save up a little.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom