Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tightening the Headliner on a Targa Top?

U

Uerik

I was just wondering if anyone has done anything on their own targa tops for the sagging cloth that might happen. I've removed the top but don't really see anyway to take it apart to tighten the cloth back down and put it all back up. Am I missing something? Or should I just use glue or something?

Chris

I got mad at mine and happend to be building a speaker box at the same time. I took my spray adhesive and shot it like mad at the matting under the cloth then took my flat head screw driver and jammed the cloth back in the frame and pushed the cloth evenly across the matting (Seems the be working for me) however I do think there is a proper way of doing it.

(Always give the spray adhesive a little ime to dry or Tack up before you try gluing something.) (I usually use the length of a cigarette but I quit so now Im in trouble)

Tightening the headliner on a targa top

I had the same trouble with mine so I bought a glass top! The dealer said to send the original top back and he would rebate me $300.00 for it. I thought I might want it sometime. He said "You"ll never use it!" He was right! I never have used it.

What I did before I bought the glass top was to take a small device like a finger nail file or something equally thin and punch the cloth back up under the lip of the top. That would work for awhile. If you run with both the windows down it will sag again in short order though. I had considered ripping off the cloth and seeing what was under it. Maybe I could have painted it black or something. The glass top intervened and I lost interest in that project. :)

Good luck with it............

glass top

heh... thanx. Yeah I am gonna get a glass top but that is not until i have my new body kit and paint job and all new weatherstripping... <sigh> that'll be awhile cuz I still have to finish my interior.. which mainly consist's of buying whole new door panels for driver and passenger, and replacing the window motors.. <sigh> minimum of 1k there... THanx though

Chris

Tightening the headliner on a targa top

When replacing the window motors you might want to do yourself a favor and buy those pre-assembled units that include the motor, track, etc. You can get them from that mail order place in Florida (can't think of the name) and possibly other mail order houses. It sure cuts down the install time. I did one with individual parts and one with an assembled unit. Boy what a difference in install time. Of course I guess they are a bit more spendy then the individual parts. But you don't have to mess with those pop rivets, etc. Just swap them and zip it up.

Have fun..................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom