Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Timing Belt On The Lt4 '96 Vette

1996 LT4 Topic
H

Hondo

Is there a timing belt on the '96 LT4 that has to be changed at the 70,000 mile mark or does the Corvettes have a timing chain?
A friend of mine asked this question about his Vette, and I told him I really don't know. In fact I never gave it any thought until he asked me the question.

Serpentine belt for accy's

Timing chain for crank to cam functions :beer

The timing chain on the LT4 is a heavier duty chain than the other small blocks, however, the one on my 65k miles engine was stretched pretty good. I replaced it with the extreme duty chain which is a drop in replacement. I have much better peace of mind (plus more accurate cam timing).

Cam chain

What is the part # for the stronger chain?
Thanks

Sorry Louis for taking so long, I haven't been on the thread till now. The part for the Extreme Duty Chain set is 12370835. Cost is 222.35 from Jeff Kopp at superior chevrolet 913-384-3115. Be sure to tell him you are a forum member for discount. Cost is 288.77 without discount.

At GM Parts Direct including shipping the cost is:

OEM #12370835
Belt or Chain, Engine Timing
Timing Chain Kit
$242.57

Part#

Thanks for the part# as I plan to install the LT4 Hot Cam and new chain. I am looking for the cam specs for the stock LT4 cam and the cam specs for the Hot cam. I will need the detailed specs for the degree wheel (how many degrees B.T.D.C. before the intake starts to open, etc) as this REALLY helps make more H.P. Major pain in the a-- to do, but worth it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom