Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tips needed on electric fans...

A

AUSSIEVETTEMAN

I am just wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what electric cooling fans you have found to be reliable enough over time.

I have the cooling system right, but I want to slowly upgrade the front of the engine with a serpentine pulley system, but before I do that, I need to start with an electric fan setup.

I have the old 2" radiator down in the shed, in it's place I put a 4 row 2 and a bit inch radiator that keeps the old girl cool at 160 degrees, good here in summer.
I do not have a problem with this setup, but in traffic she will struggle with no air flow helping the situation after about 30 minutes or so.
I need a good electric fan and any tips on where to buy, don't mind sourcing from the USA.
I have A/C as well.

Cheers

Tony

Aussie, send Tom at DeWitts a pm. I've installed his radiator and fans and I can attest they are top rate. There are other options but for the money I believe you get what you pay for.

I just got off of ebay, and they are for sell on there by a coumpany called ECT. Thet sell alum radiators also.

go to corvettefaq, under cooling they have an article that shows installation of fans.

No worries!
I went to this site and had a 'captain cook' (look), saw one article from a fella who had an 81 like ours and a set of dual fans. His raditor looked crap though, looked like the original 2 inch job. Mine is a new 4 row 2 and a bit inch heavy duty radiator. She works fine, but C3's being the bottom air feeders they are, she needs something when in traffic. I an not interested in 'bling' that is for the trailer queens. The Vette was made to be driven, so I do my best to drive her to work and even down the shop for milk.
:lou

Anyway the younge fella had a good setup, that's for sure. My only problem is that the cold air induction feeding the carb was tken away, when the shroud was removed. I am toying with an idea to use a stock air cleaner housing and custom make something to gather air from in front of the radiator like the factory intended. Once the shroud is gone, the gap can be filled with foam, but the carb sucks hot air in from the engine bay.
As you guys know, hot air costs power.
If you have any advice in this area on this type of modification, feel free to yell out.

Cheers

Tony

Aussie, send Tom at DeWitts a pm. I've installed his radiator and fans and I can attest they are top rate. There are other options but for the money I believe you get what you pay for.

I'll check out dewitts site, any tips on part numbers?

I am not worried to much about the price, of course I don't want anything I will have to take a double mortgage out on the house, but you get the idea.

I'll go and watch american chopper now and surf the web later for dewitts.

Cheers

Tony

I have used Be Cool on several projects and their products have always fit and worked great.

The one I used on the S-10/SBC setup had a mechanical thermostat switch that I thought was a bit antique but it works without problems.
5541S10_motor.jpg

I have a BeCool system with dual fans. It works great and it was actually less than dewitts system.

It is fairly easy to adapt the stock dual electric fan set up off a late C4 to the C3 cooling stack. A long time ago, Vette Magazine did this with a project car it called "The Big Block from Hell". That electric fan system is quite efficient and very durable. The text from that old series is at http://www.idavette.net/hib/vette_bbfh.htm

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom