Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire and exhaust changes....suggestions?

• Thread starter Thread starter 01TriBlack
  • Start date Start date

01TriBlack

I just purchased a manual '01. On my C4, I had Firehawks and Corsas - loved both.

Can I ditch the run flats and go with Firehawks on the '01? Also, there seems to be a couple different options for the C5 Corsas. I would be prefer louder to quieter. Even though I loved the Corsas on the C4 (which get louder with time), I thought they were a little tame. Which is the louder of the Corsas for C5's out there?

Thanks in advance for your great input, as usual.

Mary

Corsa "Indy's" are the loudest, there quieter model is the "touring"

Think they come in various stainless tips now.

Congrats on your new 2001 :beer

Regarding tires, the non-runflats in my opinion are much better. There are several good tires out there. I like my BFG G-force tires.

Regarding exhausts, if you are into Corsas, then the Indys are a good and louder choice. There are many C5 exhausts out now, and it would be a good idea to listen to some and ride in the cars if interested in some other options. I can tell you if you want loud, that I love my Borla XR1s, but mine are augmented by my engine work, headers, gutted cats. Mine is loud but music to my ears. Most people however would feel mine is too loud.

ZZ

MAC5 said:
Corsa "Indy's" are the loudest, there quieter model is the "touring"

Think they come in various stainless tips now.
Thanks, MAC5. :) I saw the different tips and think I'm going with the Pros.

ZZRider said:
Congrats on your new 2001 :beer

Regarding tires, the non-runflats in my opinion are much better. There are several good tires out there. I like my BFG G-force tires.

Regarding exhausts, if you are into Corsas, then the Indys are a good and louder choice. There are many C5 exhausts out now, and it would be a good idea to listen to some and ride in the cars if interested in some other options. I can tell you if you want loud, that I love my Borla XR1s, but mine are augmented by my engine work, headers, gutted cats. Mine is loud but music to my ears. Most people however would feel mine is too loud.

ZZ
Hey, ZZRider....thank you for the input. :) Appreciated. I've considered Borlas as well.... but the Corsas appeal to me because of their "unique" sound - almost a gurgling sound.

Hey, ZZRider....thank you for the input. Appreciated. I've considered Borlas as well.... but the Corsas appeal to me because of their "unique" sound - almost a gurgling sound.

Corsas do sound very nice as well. A bit more of an exotic sound than my deeper Borlas. A big plus for Corsas as well is the lack of resonance. My XR1s have a lot of resonance. I hear the newer Borlas have improved this, but Corsa is well known for their lack of cabin resonance. Borlas are definately a good choice and a quality product. It all comes down to your personal tastes and prefernce.

Enjoy that new car!! :w

ZZ

I have the Corsa Pace Car (Indy) exhaust and love it. Great sound at WOT and quiet at normal cruising. My tips are the Tigershark. They take up the whole space at the rear and finish the look of the tail in my opinion.

I am still running the standard issue GoodYear run flats but will likely replace them with something different later.

Try the B&B Tri-flow PRT, that's what i have, and think it sounds better then the borla, and the corsa. I have heard many cars with different exhaust sounds and find that the B&B sounds the best for the C5. (personal opinion). The PRT is the louder version of the B&B exhaust, and if you want a deeper sound you could dremel the two holes on the inside of the tips. My friend did that on his car sounds mean, and loud a little to loud for me. Anyway's i think there is a web page www.bbtriflow.com. They have the sounds of both exhaust on that. (PRT is the louder one and Route 66 is a little less). There are different tips i have the quad oval ones. They look sharp. Well good luck and tell me what you think.

I have the Corsa Pace Car with a X-Pipe and am very happy with then. Quite loud when you punch yet almost stock sounding at cruise.

I have posted this on a couple of other threads.........but I just put Corsa Indy's and the Bassani x-pipe on my '98 coupe....IMHO do both, as it evens out the exhaust pulses side to side and makes the idle sound extraordinary! A deep burbling with none of the side-to-side motorboating that the stock exhaust has....also none of the snapping and popping when you take your foot off of the gas, as the x-pipe gets rid of that too almost completely.
As to tires, I just put Michelin Pilot Sports A/S on mine, and went with the non runflats. I know that I gave up maybe 10% of the off center steering response, and a little performance at the BIG end of the g meter....but talk about a nice ride! Completely quiet compared to the worn Goodyear EMT's I had on there. They also have a really nice rib on the side to protect your wheels. These tires are a great compromise, without really giving up much to the Ultra-ultra high performance summer tires that are only going to last (maybe) 15 K miles.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom