Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Change Machines

safety_match

Corvette
1990 Bright Red roadster
I have not yet had the need to find a tire shop to change this car's tires, but I have seen the results of a bad tire change to good condition wheels.
What kind of tire machine / tire shop should one stay away from and what kinds are wheel friendly? I don't mind paying more for a good job.

thanks, Safety

Just about any tire store worth a darn should have a touchless tire machine. The best thing is if they are using plastic heads on the machine vs. metal. That said, it's more who is doing it, not which machine is used. Go find a shop that either does a lot of vettes' and other exotics or one that sells a lot of the bling bling wheels as they will have the know how not to tear up the wheels

I assume that what jwilliams is referring to as a "touchless" machine is what is known as a "Rim Clamp" machine. Most all tire stores have them now. Because of this, alloy wheel damage is not NEAR the problem that it was a few years ago.

Even with a rim clamp machine, wheel care is completely in the hands of the ape handling the wheel. If the person is throwing the wheel and all his tools around carelessly you will get damage regardless of the machine used. I don't have a rim clamp or even what is called a center post machine. I have an ancient manual machine with an air powered bead breaker. I have rigged plastic padding on all surfaces that touch the wheel and I can deal with the nicest of wheels without damaging them because I CARE.

I don't care if the shop you go to has a $10,000 tire machine, I would want to watch the operator do a few wheels before I let him touch my own. Make sure that he is not one of the apes that throws things around with no care for the condition of what he is dealing with.

Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom