Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Innovations: Would You Use These?

Corvette
2006 'Evil Stealth Black' Roadster
In light of Jane Anne's recent experience of a flat at 80 MPH, when someone in my local Corvette Club forwarded on an email about Michelin's "Next Generation" tire concept, I did a little investigation. It appears to be true. The press release that follows is from the Michelin.com website. Here's the SOURCE DOCUMENT. (They have an interesting photo gallery, too.)

These are tires without a critical ingredient: air. Interesting concept. It was apparently introduced at the North American International Auto Show this year. Think about what it would mean if they were actually used in vehicles. No more tire pressure sensors, no more air compressors at gas stations. Police spike strips won't likely work.

But aesthetically... hmm... not sure I'm sold. Would you put a set of these on your Corvette?
;shrug

MICHELIN LETS THE AIR OUT OF FUTURE TIRE INNOVATION
Michelin announces two fitments for its revolutionary non-pneumatic Tweel™

DETROIT, M.I. (January 9, 2005) –
tweel_01102004A.jpg
Today at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) Michelin showcased a potential future for mobility, an integrated tire and wheel combination missing one ingredient that is vital for traditional tire performance...air. The company unveiled the first real-world fitments for its revolutionary "Tweel" – which operates entirely without air.
View the photo gallery.

"Major revolutions in mobility may come along only once in a hundred years," said Terry Gettys, president of Michelin Americas Research and Development Center in Greenville, S.C. "But a new century has dawned and Tweel has proven its potential to transform mobility. Tweel enables us to reach levels of performance that quite simply aren't possible with today's conventional pneumatic technology."

Michelin's Tweel is in production and available as an enhancement for future iBOT™ mobility systems. Invented by Dean Kamen, the iBOT™ mobility device has the ability to climb stairs and navigate uneven terrain, offering mobility freedom impossible with traditional wheelchairs. Additionally, Segway LLC's Concept Centaur, a prototype that applies self-balancing technology to a four-wheel device, has also been equipped with Tweel to increase its performance potential.

Beyond these first real-world applications, Michelin has additional projects for Tweel on construction skidsteers and a variety of military vehicles. The most intriguing application may be Michelin's early prototype Tweel fitment for passenger cars. The mobility company released video of promising Tweel performance on an Audi A4.

"The Tweel automotive application, as demonstrated on the Audi, is definitely a concept, a stretch application with strong future potential," said Gettys. "Our concentration is to enter the market with lower-speed, lower-weight Tweel applications. What we learn from our early successes will be applied to Tweel fitments for passenger cars and beyond."

Benefits of Tweel™:
The heart of Tweel innovation is its deceptively simple looking hub and spoke design that replaces the need for air pressure while delivering performance previously only available from pneumatic tires. The flexible spokes are fused with a flexible wheel that deforms to absorb shock and rebound with unimaginable ease. Without the air needed by conventional tires, Tweel still delivers pneumatic-like performance in weight-carrying capacity, ride comfort, and the ability to "envelope" road hazards.

Michelin has also found that it can tune Tweel performances independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness (which primarily affects ride comfort) and lateral stiffness (which affects handling and cornering) can both be optimized, pushing the performance envelope in these applications and enabling new performances not possible for current inflated tires. The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling.

Future of Tweel™ Technology:
For Michelin, Tweel is a long-term vision that represents the next step in a long path of industry-changing innovations. Fifty years ago, Michelin invented the radial tire and there is no question that radial tire technology will continue as the standard for a long time to come. Michelin continues to advance the performance of the radial tire in areas such as rolling resistance, wear life and grip. In the short-term, the lessons learned from Tweel research are being applied to improve those conventional tire performances. In the future, Tweel may reinvent the way that vehicles move. Checking tire pressure, fixing flats, highway blow-outs and balancing between traction and comfort could all fade into memory.

About Michelin:
The world's largest tire maker, Michelin (www.michelin.com) manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles and the space shuttle. The company also publishes travel guides, maps and atlases covering Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America employs 23,000 and operates 21 plants in 17 locations.

I read about those in an email a while back. I think it's a great idea, taking the spoke concept to the next level. For my non-Vette cars though, I wonder how they would handle in snow with the sludge getting inside the tire itself and throwing it possibly off balance.

- Eric:w

Eric said:
...For my non-Vette cars though, I wonder how they would handle in snow with the sludge getting inside the tire itself and throwing it possibly off balance.

Good question. In fact, to advance it further, it doesn't even half to be snow. It could be mud.

-Patrick

Eric said:
I read about those in an email a while back. I think it's a great idea, taking the spoke concept to the next level. For my non-Vette cars though, I wonder how they would handle in snow with the sludge getting inside the tire itself and throwing it possibly off balance.

And to go further...

Say you are driving through a lot of sludge. It heats up and becomes a semi-viscous ooze. Then you park the car. The sludge freezes again. Now you have ice rocks within the spokes. Could be a bad combination. Would the subsequent erratic weight and performance discrepancies throw off the ABS and or stability control?

What about cold temperatures and elasticity? Is it still effective?

All that could be fixed by runing thin flexible sidewalls to keep the elements out. Personaly I would like to see more research done with these. One thing they would due is to make the police spike strips absolete.

zagger said:
All that could be fixed by runing thin flexible sidewalls to keep the elements out. Personaly I would like to see more research done with these. One thing they would due is to make the police spike strips absolete.
The police spike strips could be changed to more of a barb strip that punctures and stays in the tire somehow to damage the car or just slow it down. Hmmm, I'm sure they could figure something out.

The safety benefits of such an innovation are immesureable.

The only other downside is that you would no longer have the ability to lower your presure for better mud or snow traction like some folks do. But then, the tire manufacturers may have more flexibility with tread design that may offset that.

Eric said:

These are just prototypes. I'm sure the commercial version would have flexible sidewalls that would seal out the gunk.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom