Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Size

AK454

Corvette
1971 Red 454
I have a quick question on the right tire size for my 71 coupe. I am looking at 255/60/15, but wanted to check to make sure that they were not going to be too large. Thanks for any advice.

-Paul

I have 245/60/15 on my '78 and I think that's about the largest it will take. The fronts rub slightly at wheel lock, not enough to damage anything but it leaves a mark.
Jim

I have 255X60X15 on factory stock rallye rims, no issues, but have heard some people do with rubbing. Go to a tire shop and ask if they will try one on the car (front - back test) first before you buy a set. 245X60X15 seem to have zero problems.

AK454 said:
I have a quick question on the right tire size for my 71 coupe. I am looking at 255/60/15, but wanted to check to make sure that they were not going to be too large. Thanks for any advice.

-Paul

Thats what I have on mine , no rubbing anywhere .

I just baught brand new tires and 255X60X15 are too wide in front if you are concerned with handling the car on the road.

I had 255x60x15 all around the car and the car wouldn't handle very well. I've finally baught 225x70x15 in front and 255x60x15 for the rear.

And now it handles very very good and looks very nice too.

AK454 said:

-Paul

i have been running 255/60-R15's on mine since i bought it in '98. they rubbed a little in the front at full turn, but the rims were not factory offset. with factory offset wheels they did not rub. most wheels are 4 5/8" offset, but the Vettes need 4" offset. you won't even come close in the rear until you get to 295/50 tires.

AK454 said:
I have a quick question on the right tire size for my 71 coupe. I am looking at 255/60/15, but wanted to check to make sure that they were not going to be too large. Thanks
Paul,
A 255 will be tight on the front of a '71. Should be okay on the rear. I perfer to run a 245 and be sure of no rubbing problems.

Keep in mind that on later C3 that the fender lips were trimed at the factory to clear a larger tire, but that was not so on the early C3 like your '71.

tom...

245's rub on my 75 no real damage but a hard turn and a bump could be a problem

I got the rub

As your suspension ages the rubbing will increase. When I first went to modern tires in about 1981, I ran 255 60 15's but the fronts started to rub as time marched forward. So I went to 245's, but the fronts started to rub as time marched forward. Now it's 235's... I think I'm going to have to rebuild the suspension soon. Much of my suspension is factory original.

Koop:

This is an excellent point that many people do not consider. Just because one guy can run 255/60/15 on his stock C3 Vette (regardless of model year), doesn't mean everyone can. Suspension condition is absolutely a factor.

en2burrell

Koop said:
As your suspension ages the rubbing will increase. When I first went to modern tires in about 1981, I ran 255 60 15's but the fronts started to rub as time marched forward. So I went to 245's, but the fronts started to rub as time marched forward. Now it's 235's... I think I'm going to have to rebuild the suspension soon. Much of my suspension is factory original.

255x60x15's here

on ralley wheels, no rub.

Chas

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom