Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Update Question, For Hib (or anyone)

• Thread starter Thread starter ArtZR1991
  • Start date Start date
A

ArtZR1991

Having run across Hib on another thread, I remember that he had written some interesting comments upon the introduction of the new GoodYear "D3" tires in ZR1 sizes a few months ago. In the initial surveys posted on Tire Rack, the D3 seems to be getting a great deal of praise.

Now this is kind of like the exhaust question, but in real world terms, how much quieter is the D3 than, say, the Michelin Pilot Sport?

Would love to have some comments, because I am about to replace my tires (and wheels, due to an accident, but that's another story). So, Hib (and everyone else), I would appreciate it if you have any updates on your initial comments on these tires, or about these issues.

And while we are on the subject, what about the idea of going up one size in the wheel. A lot of aftermarket wheels are available in ZR1 offsets, but in 18" sizes, the argument being that more tires are available. For a moment disregard the D3 as an overwhelming choice, would an 18" wheel make a good choice?

My concern is the possible shorter sidewall, if the tire diameter is kept near the same.

Thanks in advance,

Hey Art great to see you around. Try these links :
http://zr1.net/ZR1_tires.html

http://zr1.net/F1G3D3.html

I have the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on one car. And the Goodyear F1 G3D3 on the other Z. The F1 S/C's on the green car were a real nice change. Then I put the F1G3D3's on the white Z and they IMO are better that the F1 SC tire's. Mich's pilot sports won't even hold a candle to the Goodyears. But I don't think the Goodyears are made in 18 or 19 inch size.

Thanks, Frank!

Frankly, I think you are right .. on all points.

Thanks for the links. I'll be back to ask more after I visit and read some more.

Wonder why everyone (salesman, I mean) is so interested in promoting a 18 inch wheel? In either case, the wheels would come from them, and they know that.

Thanks, and good to hear from you.

PS Frank: What wheels do you have?

I needed two front tires to replace the Goodyear GS-C's on my '95 vert and put two Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on. I didn't notice whether they were any quieter due to road noise, but I will say that they handle much better in the wet than the GS-C's. The front end doesn't float like the OEM tire. I still have some GS-C's on the rear and can't wait to change them out to the GS-D3's as well. Great tire and a great conversation piece with the tread design. ;)

Don't have any experience with Michelin to give you a comparison though.

Good luck with the decision.

Leon

Art , I dont think that Goodyear makes any of those F1 series tires in 18 inch size. The green car has Fikse rims and the white car has original GM 5 spokes. I am begining to like the GM 5 spokes more as time go's on. The GM wheels are only slightly heavier (1lb) per wheel than the super expensive and very delicate Fikse's. The Fikse's scratch real easy. You have to pat them dry !

The Goodyear F1 tires are available for 17, 18 and even 19 inch wheels. Goodyear has all of their available sizes on the web as does Tirerack.

Leon

I have not tested the Pilot Sport against the F1 GS-D3 for noise.

I have compared the F1 GS-D3 for noise against the old GS-C and there's a slight difference with the GS-D3 just a bit quieter.

I'm not sure if GS-D3s are available in 18-in sizes and, if they are, I'm almost sure there are no 18s wide enough for the ZR-1 rear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom