Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires ,Tires, Tires

EYESOFTEX

Corvette
1972 Corvette (C3) LT1
OK , Here we go ,I use BF GOODRICH T/A`s P225/70R/15`s on my car :Roll I here some use smaller tires in the front,when you get the front end aligned , does your car handle good cornering. or can you tell the differance?:w

EYESOFTEX

I run 2.55-60 BFGs on the front and 2.75s on the rear both on 8 inch American TT2 they fill out the wheel wells nicely. A 4 wheel alignment is the order for a Vette
DSC00561.JPG

I sometimes run the "stock" tires and rims on long trips, they don't hook up as well or handle as good to me.
Craig sr.

Do the 275's rub in the rear or do you have offset trailing arms?:confused :beer :w

Stock trailing arms no rubs I called American and asked for their recommendation for wheels and ordered them from summit. They have been on since 1999 second set of tires on back. (wore the first set out before I had it 4 wheel aligned) There is some signs of contact on the front wheels inner fenderwells, most likely when turning tightly

Tires

Boss vette , I like the look in the back, It fills up the wheel wells pretty nice, do you have a side shot. I know different part of the country have different prices , but how much does it cost to get the trailing arms aligned. Or is it very hard to do your self? does any one know how much a dealer would charge?:w EYESOFTEX

I just had a 4 wheel alignment at a well established family shop for $85. They do all my vehicles usually only once as they stay aligned. If you notice your wheels out 6 months after an alignment better find another shop.

alignment

Boss vette , How can I tell if my corvette trailing arms are out of alignment. my corvette is find I think . But i would just like to know just in case they are not.:w EYESOFTEX

EYESOFTEX If you have occasion to drive in the rain and your car is Squirlly it is probably out of alignment, I had poly-graphite bushings put in all around and an alignment was needed
side shot
53.JPG

If your car handles fine and there is no excessive wear on the tires it is most likely OK
Craig sr

bossvette:
You are running 275/60s on 8" back rims, but is your back-spacing the same as the N90 aluminum wheels?
I'm running 255/60s all-around, but if the 275s will clear with OEM wheels, I'll put two 275/60s on the rear next time.....

My car when I bought it had 275-60s on the OEM aluminum rims on the back and 225-70s on the front, I still have the OEM rims (with 225-70) and use them when I take it back to NJ or other long trips. If you want I can check the back-spacing, but not till after Deer Season:r
Craig sr.

If you want I can check the back-spacing, but not till after Deer Season:r
Yes, I can wait; be careful out there!!!

tires

Bossvette looks pretty nice, Thanks EYESOFTEX:pat

Typical backspacing for 8" C3 wheels is about 4 inches, maybe a bit less, but too much less and the wheels will stick out.

I have 255's in front and 275's in back as well. Do you notice that on certain roads, like highways where the road isn't so great, that you get tugged around the road? It's quite annoying, and I just wanted to make sure that it was because of the larger tires. It mainly happens when the road seems to have ditchtes where the tires go and it's higher in the center of the road. I think trucks cause it.

Sorry for the poor description...any of you have this?

Thanks!

- Jeremy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom