Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires wont accept air???

BoDuke

Corvette
'04, Triple black Vert, '13 Grand Sport 3LT Coupe
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but anyone know why my tires wont accept air? TPM showing the rears at 23 and 25, fronts at 27 and 28. Manual gauge concurs.

When I put the air to them (I've used 5 different air stations, mine here at home, 3 gas stations, and 1 tire shop), They wont accept any air. WTH?? The tire shop doesn't have any explanation either. ;shrug

They are Goodyear F1 runflats. I notice there's what appears to be rubber on each side of the valve stem core, as if the stem is rubber filled with the core in the center. I've never seen that on any other tire. I haven't messed with it as I don't want to screw something up. I thought I'd ask first.

Wish I could help. Mine are Goodyear's also and mine will accept air. I would try pulling the valve stems and replacing them with new ones. If that don't help, I would try another tire shop.

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but anyone know why my tires wont accept air? TPM showing the rears at 23 and 25, fronts at 27 and 28. Manual gauge concurs.

When I put the air to them (I've used 5 different air stations, mine here at home, 3 gas stations, and 1 tire shop), They wont accept any air. WTH?? The tire shop doesn't have any explanation either. ;shrug

They are Goodyear F1 runflats. I notice there's what appears to be rubber on each side of the valve stem core, as if the stem is rubber filled with the core in the center. I've never seen that on any other tire. I haven't messed with it as I don't want to screw something up. I thought I'd ask first.

It sounds like you have a rubber "O" ring seal that has wedged around your Schrader valve in the valve stem. There might have been an "O" ring in the top of your valve stem cap that dislodged (or had 2 "O" rings in it and pushed one into the Schrader valve) and wedged into your Schrader valve. Try using a small pick (I have angled picks that would work perfect, but even a fairly large needle will do) while being slow and cautious, and see if you can remove the debris. Good luck with it. :)

Last edited:
There is an "O" ring inside of each valve cap. Many times I have seen them remain on the valve stem when the cap is removed and this will prevent inflation. I have never seen all four valve stems do this at the same time, but I suppose it is possible. If that is not the case, it could be a problem with the valve cores. You can remove the cores and replace them and see if that helps. I am out of ideas now. Good luck.

You may have nitrogen filled tires. If so adding air is not recommended because you will get false readings.
Your tires will be over pressurized and your readings will say under pressurized.
Very dangerous to drive with them filled like this!

lesf55

You may have nitrogen filled tires. If so adding air is not recommended because you will get false readings.
Your tires will be over pressurized and your readings will say under pressurized.
Very dangerous to drive with them filled like this!

lesf55

Pressure is pressure. It does not matter what the gas mix is your tire pressure gauge will measure the actual internal pressure. Different gases will vary in their pressure change slightly based on temperature change.

Air is 79-80% nitrogen so adding air to a tire with nitrogen is not a big deal unless you are anal on having pure nitrogen.

Similarly a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead.

Mr. Sam P.E.

PS: Tire Rack even says it is better to add air to low pressure nitrogen tires rather than run with low air pressure.

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Thought since I got a like on this I would add a little more info. While mixed gases exert a total resultant pressure, one can calculate the individual pressure each one contributes. This is based on Boyles law (1600's) and the concept of partial pressures. If you know the percentage/mass of each gas, volume of the container, and the temperature one can calculate the resulting pressure.

Said another way:

In a mixture of gases, each gas has a partial pressure which is the hypothetical pressure of that gas if it alone occupied the volume of the mixture at the same temperature. The total pressure of an ideal gas mixture is the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

Mr. Sam P.E.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom