Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tires

billyz06-2003

Corvette
2009 callaway crystal red coupe, 1995 pace car
got a 2001 with oem run flats, can i put kumho run flats on front only?? will this work without any handling problems.

Billy-
It looks like you are not talking about your Z06. Do you want me to move this to the C5 technical forum where it will get more views?
Jim

You probably will notice a difference although, I'd think that anyone on a tight budget such that they're considering Kumhos on the front and GY on the backi probably doesn't drive the car hard enough to ever notice the difference. So, in practice, you'll probably be ok.

What you might notice, if you ever actually need the run-flat feature, is that only the Goodyear meets the run-flat specification GM set for the car. The Kumho does not. Further, with Kumho, you get what you pay for. The Korean tire industry is not advanced enough to provide buyers with effective run-flat technology, so what Kumho does is add some sacrificial material to the inside of the tire which is consumed during run-flat operation. That makes Kumhos a "one-time" "run-flat" which must be scrapped after any run-flat incident regardless of distance.

For more on run-flats see:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=515

You probably will notice a difference although, I'd think that anyone on a tight budget such that they're considering Kumhos on the front and GY on the backi probably doesn't drive the car hard enough to ever notice the difference. So, in practice, you'll probably be ok.

What you might notice, if you ever actually need the run-flat feature, is that only the Goodyear meets the run-flat specification GM set for the car. The Kumho does not. Further, with Kumho, you get what you pay for. The Korean tire industry is not advanced enough to provide buyers with effective run-flat technology, so what Kumho does is add some sacrificial material to the inside of the tire which is consumed during run-flat operation. That makes Kumhos a "one-time" "run-flat" which must be scrapped after any run-flat incident regardless of distance.

For more on run-flats see:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=515

Excellent info. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom