Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toe-in Front Wheels 65 Vette

• Thread starter Thread starter taller
  • Start date Start date
T

taller

I would like to adjust the toe-in 1965 vette 327. The top of my tire is about 1" in at the top if you put a 24" level on it. If i understand the shop manual right it should have about 3/8" inward at the top. Is this correct. Also when I loosen the clamp bolt at eaach tie rod do I need to loosen both the clamps or just one? Or this this a adjustment that should be done at a shop?

Thanks

taller said:
I would like to adjust the toe-in 1965 vette 327. The top of my tire is about 1" in at the top if you put a 24" level on it. If i understand the shop manual right it should have about 3/8" inward at the top. Is this correct. Also when I loosen the clamp bolt at eaach tie rod do I need to loosen both the clamps or just one? Or this this a adjustment that should be done at a shop?

Thanks

when I had to get a new alignment on my '65 a few weeks back JohnZ suggested the following:

REAR:
zero to 1/2-degree negative camber, and 1/16" total toe-in, split equally across the thrust centerline (1/32" per side, exactly).

***Rear toe is the most critical setting on the whole car, particularly getting it evenly split to both sides across the thrust centerline.
USE SLOT SHIMS, NOT HOLE SHIMS!!!

FRONT:
zero camber, 2.5 degrees positive caster, and zero-to-1/16" total toe-in.

Note: on the caster, 2.5 is perfect for good tracking and returnability but increases static steering effort. 1.5 – 1.75 is a better setting with manual steering.

I would suggest taking it to a good alignment shop that has experience and knowedge on these older cars. Their machines can measure the proper settings a lot more precisely than you can.

I've got a question. I just got an alighnment on my 65 and there print out is all in degrees. here's what I got.front left front right
camber 0.9* 0.7*
castor 1.0* 1.5*
toe .11* 0.10*

rear left rear right
camber 0.0* 0.1*
toe 0.04* 0.01*

How do you convert degrees to fractional inches. they had totals for the front and rear but this is the general idea. Thanks for any feedback.

taller said:

Thanks
The top of your tire shouldn't be "in" at all; you want zero camber (tire straight up and down), and camber has nothing to do with toe-in, which compares the span between the front of the front tires and the span at the rear. You can't do this at home - take it to an alignment shop where they can properly set caster, camber, and toe-in.

ro.co2 said:
I've got a question. I just got an alighnment on my 65 and there print out is all in degrees. here's what I got.front left front right
camber 0.9* 0.7*
castor 1.0* 1.5*
toe .11* 0.10*

rear left rear right
camber 0.0* 0.1*
toe 0.04* 0.01*

How do you convert degrees to fractional inches. they had totals for the front and rear but this is the general idea. Thanks for any feedback.
Assuming you have radial tires, you want 1/32" toe-in per wheel (no more than 1/16" total toe-in), both front and rear; this is .015 degrees.

Your front camber should be zero, caster should be 2.5* (if you have power steering) or 1.5* with manual, and your front toe is OK (should be zero to .015 per side). Rear camber and right toe-in looks OK, but the left rear toe-in is excessive (should be .015* or less). Rear toe-in is the most critical setting on a Corvette, and needs to be both in spec and the same on both sides (split equally across the thrust centerline). I'd take it back and have them re-set the left rear toe to .01*, same as the right side, and re-set the front camber to zero on both sides. If you have power steering, have them crank in more caster (2.5*) - this significantly improves straight-ahead tracking and steering returnability.

Toe Angle in Degrees = (1/32" toe-in, .03125") x (2 Pi), divided by tire radius (13.5" for a typical 215/70R15) = .015*

:beer

Thanks john for the reply. Is there a formula to convert degrees to inches. It would be helpful to know. Thanks.

Tor-In

Thanks all, I will be taking my car in for repairs. I live in San Antonio Tx I just don't know of a good place I can trust.

Taller

UOTE=JohnZ]Assuming you have radial tires, you want 1/32" toe-in per wheel (no more than 1/16" total toe-in), both front and rear; this is .015 degrees.

Your front camber should be zero, caster should be 2.5* (if you have power steering) or 1.5* with manual, and your front toe is OK (should be zero to .015 per side). Rear camber and right toe-in looks OK, but the left rear toe-in is excessive (should be .015* or less). Rear toe-in is the most critical setting on a Corvette, and needs to be both in spec and the same on both sides (split equally across the thrust centerline). I'd take it back and have them re-set the left rear toe to .01*, same as the right side, and re-set the front camber to zero on both sides. If you have power steering, have them crank in more caster (2.5*) - this significantly improves straight-ahead tracking and steering returnability.

Toe Angle in Degrees = (1/32" toe-in, .03125") x (2 Pi), divided by tire radius (13.5" for a typical 215/70R15) = .015*

:beer[/QUOTE]

ro.co2 said:
Thanks john for the reply. Is there a formula to convert degrees to inches. It would be helpful to know. Thanks.
Yup, just reverse it and solve for "x":

.015 (degrees) = (2 Pi)(X) divided by tire radius (13.5)

(2 Pi)(X) = (13.5)(.015)

6.28(X) = .2025

X = .032" (1/32")

:beer

Well I headed back to the shop that did my alignment and heres what I got back.
front
left right​
camber 0.1* 0.0*​
castor 2.3* 2.4*​
toe 0.05* 0.06*​

rear
left right
camber -0.3* -0.4*

toe 0.06* 0.05*

I'm I reading this right that the rear toe and camber is worse than it was.​
Boy this sure doesnt show up when posted like I typed it.​

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom