Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Top Blues

A

Arcangel224

I gotta crack in my top! Not meaning my brain is spilling out :) I have an 86 coupe and would love to have a hard top. I hate the acryllic tops, Texas heat is a mutha. The other day is was so hot in the car I thought I saw the devil himself close the garage door behind me...rofl. Then and again it could have been the mother-in-law, but be that as it may, can anyone tell me if they make hard top replacements for an 86 and if so where I can find one. If they didn't is it possible to get a later model and adapt it to fit. Appreciate the help!

P.S. I found out later it was the Devil I saw. The wife told me her mom was still in Jersey and wasn't coming until next week. That leaves me 5 days to find a good priest, (which is really gonna be a trick nowadays)...rofl maybe I'll check around the courthouse......lol.........wooooooooo gotta love life in spite of it all. ROFL..Oh my side is killing me!

Yall be good!

Thanks!

I would try a corvette salvage yard... you may find one that matches your paint already or a black one, which would look like the clear top.... There are a bunch in Corvette trader, one that i know of that has fair prices is called Coastal Corvette, they have a small text ad in the back of the book... the number should have a 321 area code

the newer tops can be retro-fitted with new front bolt mounts... from what i hear it is a real PITA, and not worth it... you are better off keeping the same 'edition' top you have now... i think there are 3 different bolt patterns for C4's

When I had my 85 I bought a used top off of Ebay for $400. The top was like new. It was off of an 89 but hardly used. It cost me $150 to paint to match my car and $100 for the parts to change my car so that the top would fit. It really was not hard and only took about 2 hrs. including all of the adjustments. All together it was $650 and new tops are like 12-$1300. It will be hard to find one for an 86 because most are broken by now. I think they changed tops halfway through in 86. If you find one that is the right color you can do it even cheaper. Good Luck, Guy

Try these guys - <http://www.corvettetops.com/>. They trade in clear and painted tops for C3-C5 vettes. Haven't bought from them but have talked with them. They should be able to give you an allowance on your broken acrylic top as well.

BTW - yes, they did make solid roofs for 86. Mine came with one of each. And no, I'm not selling it :)

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom