Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI intake removal

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
I have to remove the intake on my 90 as I ahve a leaking gasket (leaking water on passenger side near distributor).

My question is this: do I have to remove all components from the manifold before removing the manifold itself, e.g. runners, plenum, fuel rails, and all the millions of other components?

Or is it possible to just disconnect the necessary parts (vacuum pipes, fuel pipes, throttle body, throttle cables, wiress, water hoses, distributor,etc) and remove the intake/plenum/runners/fuel rails & injectors as a whole?

Seems to me the less that gets disturbed the better!

Anyone have any tips?

:beer

Its been awhile but I don't think you can get to all the bolts without removing the runners. You can leave the injectors and fuel rails on, but I personally like to replace gaskets/seals/O-rings etc. Its small insurance against leaks. Street and performance has a good video on TPI's for about $20 http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Pretty much all gotta go. bossvette may be right about the injectors and rails but at that point it's really academic.

Malc, start by removing one of the lower coolant plugs on the block, in order to drain the coolant down below the intake level. This will make for a cleaner job. Plan on removing the plenum, and the runners. I'd even remove the injectors and inspect them along with the O rings. The factory black gaskets are junk and will more than likely require a blade in order to remove all of the old gasket. Be sure to stuff the intake runners with some sort of cloth so that you can control the amount of debri that might fall in. I like to use a wet/dry vac to vacuum the lifter valley along with the intake runners on the heads once I'm done removing all of the old gasket material. Use some carb. cleaner to clean both surfaces on the head and intake where the gasket mates. This would also be a great time to remove carbon buildup from the intake and runners. Going back use a healthy bead of RTV silicone at least 3/8" high on the front and rear of the block. Apply a small film of RTV on the water jackets both on the heads and intake side of the gaskets.Use Felpro blue intake gaskets.

I'm in the process of starting mine as well, I have picked up all the gaskets and RTV as well as injector O rings and plenum gaskets, it may sound easier to leave everything on, but I'm not going to risk it, it's not that expensive and at least you get a chance to clean things up a bit.

Mart

Cheers guys

didn't think I'd get away with it. Sam (8388) you're right I think I have the original black factory gaskets. :( It was a relief finding out it was only a failed gasket though. When I got under the car and saw water dripping onto the starter I feared something real bad.:cry

Looking forward to giving it a good cleanup in there. I'm not expecting a lot of carbon buildup, even in my turbocharged environment. When I took otf the throttle body it's sparkling, like new inside, as well as inside the plenum! Also from what I can see under the rocker covers the rockers, springs, etc all look like new too. So did my LT1 with 96,000 miles.

I guess a lot of this is down to using Mobil 1 and a good fuel? :D

P.S. Any tips for breaking the plenum away from the runners would be appreciated - they really seem to be stuck together (yes I have taken ALL the bolts out ;) !)

I guess a lot of this is down to using Mobil 1 and a good fuel? :D
You bet it is, my wife buys gas by the price and had to replace both Cats on her car, I cannot get accross to her that using good gas has its rewards. Mobil 1 has been around the longest and is best in my book.

8388 said:
Going back use a healthy bead of RTV silicone at least 3/8" high on the front and rear of the block. Apply a small film of RTV on the water jackets both on the heads and intake side of the gaskets.Use Felpro blue intake gaskets.

Rather than the standard RTV, do yourself a BIG favor and pick up a can of "THE RIGHT STUFF" and use that. A lot of people have reoccuring leaks after doing this job. The probabililty is reduced greatly when using this product and applied as described above. Don't skimp on the materials on the front and rear of the block! :beer

Finished the job

took a while because I only had a limited amount of time each day. car runs nice now.

I NEVER want to do this job again!!!:(

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom