Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPIS bigmouth vs. Accel Superram

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
Just like the title says, what is the difference between them, and what one is the best to get? Also can you use SLP runners with a Superram, or do you have to have all of the accel parts for it to work ie. the runners and the acell plenum?

Vettefan87 said:
Just like the title says, what is the difference between them, and what one is the best to get? Also can you use SLP runners with a Superram, or do you have to have all of the accel parts for it to work ie. the runners and the acell plenum?

From what I've seen of both manifolds, it would appear that they are the same. Most likely manufactured by a third party (private label deals have been done this way for years), but they may be different manifolds. I cannot draw a direct comparison as I only have a Superram base and not a TPIS to compare it with. I do know that SLP runners will work with either unit, and the Superram base/SLP runner combo is a good one for a street application.

Hope this helps you...

Well I am hoping to go for a good street application. I think it was Moonunit that said using the accel plenum was a hard to get it to actually work correctly.

I am thinking about doing Heads, cam and obviously intake work soon. So I am just trying to gain parts to hopefully get it done this spring.

I've heard that the Superram has fitment issues in the Corvette. The height of the plenum causes interference with the hood. I've also heard (maybe from Moonunit) that the SR plenum is a real pain to assemble without vaccuum leaks. I may be mistaken but I believe the SR and I know the BigMouth are actually cast by Edelbrock, so the intake manifold section is pretty much the same. Could be wrong about the SR intake.

:w

I should clarify matters...

The Superram base with SLP runners and the OEM plenum (ported), rather than the SR upper plenum that has its own unique runners. Sorry for any confusion.

Accel EFI units "Superram"
acc-77131_w.jpg

If memory serves me the super ram was origionally developed by Ligenfelter and is supposed to be a PITA to assemble, but I have not worked on one so I cannot really say; they also make a "Street ram" which is what you may be refering to
acc-77130_w.jpg

as you can see there is quite a bit of difference in them and runner legnth contributes to where the powerband is the first will have its power higher due to the shorter runners.
and I believe it is simular to the Big-mouth which is also sold by Street and Performance for the Hot Rodders
When I get all my projects caught up this is what will go in my 76 to replace the SLP setup I have now a Holley Stealth Ram
hly-91503201_w.jpg

and here is another manifold to add to the mix
http://www.firstinjections.com/products.htm
Image001L.jpg

this last one has quite large runners and looks like it could support a large CI stroker

tpis mini ram any good?

hi there guys,
just wandering about the tpis mini ram then?
is it any good at all compared to the above products please?
thanks
sxyvet
australia

AdvancedAutoCC said:
I should clarify matters...

The Superram base with SLP runners and the OEM plenum (ported), rather than the SR upper plenum that has its own unique runners. Sorry for any confusion.

Yeah that is what I figured. My brother has the TPIS bigmouth manifold, and I was just curious as to if they are similar. TPIS say that the bigmouth manifold is good for 20 HP I believe. As long as they are similar and the runners will mate up with the intake and mate with stock plenum which I know they do (my brother has his car set up like that).

In terms of flow numbers they are basically the same, although several have complained about the fitment of the accel manifold. Its quality is occasionally poor.

Just adding the Bigmouth will not get you anywhere near 20 HP. You will need additional mods in addition to that.

A combination I've read about quite often is the Bigmouth manifold with Arizona Speed & Marine runners.

Summit and Jegs actually sell an Edelbrock package that has the manifold and runners. I was told more than once that the Edelbrock manifold is the same as the TPIS, even right down to the numbers on the unit.

The Edelbrock and TPIS TPI intake base are both made by Edelbrock. TPIS does go one step further and port matches all the entries and exits on the manifold and the others do not. Accel makes their own TPI intake base.

TPiS runners=AS&M runners, AS&M makes them both.

hi guys
can any one answer my question or not??:eyerole
and that is how does the tpis mini ram compare to the others mentioned above??
thanks
glen
sxyvet
australia

vader86 said:
The Edelbrock and TPIS TPI intake base are both made by Edelbrock. TPIS does go one step further and port matches all the entries and exits on the manifold and the others do not. Accel makes their own TPI intake base.

TPiS runners=AS&M runners, AS&M makes them both.

I believe the ASM runners are at least $50 less than the TPIS runners.

Glen,

Have you ever seen the LT1 intake system? That is what the Mini Ram system is like. It uses a very short runner system. You get a much higher ceiling for a little sacrifice in low end grunt. When that TPI starts having breathing problems near 5K, the Mini Ram will still keep going strong.

If you put a MR on your car, you'd also need a new fuel rail and depending on your tune (which you'd also need a new one), you might need bigger injectors. And if you went as far as a Mini Ram, you'd probably end up swapping heads as the D-ports would never be able to take advantage of the flow possibilities of the MR, neither would the wimpy stock camshaft.

Thing is, don't rush anything. Do it right and do it once. My neighbor keeps telling me that when the time has come, the time has come. It takes him years to do a car. He does a little bit here and there and when the money is right. When the money is tight, he takes a break from it.

hi edmond,
how are you!
thanks for the reply back!
no one was willing to give me an answer, so thank you mate!
so what sort of horsepwer gain would i get form the tpis mini ram roughly?
also would the tpis mini ram be better to go for than the manifolds above shown/mentioned?
along with the mini ram i want to buy the afr/tpis potred heads /210cc plus the zz9x tpis cam i think it is called.
thanks
cheers
glen
sxyvet
australia

Putting a miniram or LT1 intake on an L98 basically makes it into an LT1 engine.

Heads are almost same between '113 and LT1, cam is nearly identical.

So you should expect about 300 crank hp.

Glen,

Honestly, with those, you would make more power than you ever would with the TPI setup. But keep in mind that whatever you put together, make sure it matches. Just because you have an attractive man and an attractive woman and putting them together doesn't mean the relationship will be wonderful. Things have to match.

I'm sure your 6 speed will love that MR and the high flow heads. The MR loves those high RPM's.

And don't forget about your computer tune. Having the muscle but no brain doesn't help one bit.

What you are saying is that if I can find an LT1 intake settup and install it on my 1990 L98 with a tune I can gain nearly 50 hp ? This sounds nearly unreasonalbe, and far to easy. If anyone has actually done this I would like to know just what is all involved. Such as hookups for the ECM etc.If this really does give that kind of results it could be very economical HP.

Glenn

Glenn,

I wouldn't call it that easy but it can be done:

http://www.lt1intake.com/

Keep in mind that the LT1 is a 2nd Gen. SBC. The heads and block are drilled for "reverse" cooling. There is also no space for a distributor on the rear of the LT1 intake as the LT1 runs on the optispark system.

Makes you wonder about just getting a complete LT1 engine and installing it.
At that point buy an LT1 car?
All a matter of doing the math.

Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom