Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailering ...

R

RagTop

Trailering - open question: I currently have a PACE Shadow enclosed trailer which carries my pride and joy Corvette (total weight = approx 6500 lbs.)

I have been hauling with a 2000 Tahoe .... no issues.

I am considering a new truck .... Chevrolet's Avalanche ... same engine, same 373's and similar towing capacities, but would be interested to know if anyone else tows with an Avalanche, what their experience has been, good or bad ...

The Avalanche is longer and on a 130in wheelbase (same as the Suburban) so my initial thoughts are that it "should" haul as good, or better ...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

RagTop

The Avalanche, as I understand it, comes with the 5.3L in the 1500, and the 8.1L in the 2500 series. Your 2000 Tahoe has one of these engines?

correct .. the same 5.3l, 285hp ... seemed to be perfect in the Tahoe. We logged 15-20k miles with the trailer over the last 3 yrs.

Rgds

I can't answer your direct question ref towing with an Avalanche, sorry. I am, however, pleased to understand the 5.3L and especially the tranny, have held up well for you.
No doubt you'd get the tranny cooler on the Avalanche, so I'd hope it would do as well.
Myself, I'd prefer a 2500 Series (6.0L engine(300 hp), bigger brakes, tranny temp gauge on dash) - and have this in my 2000 Silverado.....but why the Avalanche 2500 series only comes with the 8.1L is, in my opinion, overkill. Heck, even the H2 comes with
the 6.0L!
Best wishes with your decision. I like the Avalanche alot too.
:w :Steer

Thanks for the reply ... the 6.0 would be perfect. The 8.1 seems like such overkill for my requirement ... since trailering is only a requirement less than 20% of my total miles. The rest of the time I'm driving around town, trying to find a parking garage that I fit in.

Sincerely..

Yea, Why GM put the 6.0L in the Caddy Escalade and not the Avalanche is beyond logic....otherwise, I'd probably have a 2500 Series Avalanche. I agree, the 8.1L is overkill, and the expected mpg(8-10) is prohibitive compared to my 16 mpg on the road with no trailer, and your 18+ with the 5.3L.
I would, however, think the 5.3L would do ok - esp if it is 285 hp - my 6.0 is 300 hp...I'd say there's no seat of the pants diff - but, like I mentioned before, I do like having the tranny temp gauge, and the bigger brakes.
If you get the 1500 Avalanche, let me know how it does.
:w :v

Will let you know how I make out with an Avalanche ....

What is your perspective on 4wd vs 2wd for towing? I can't actually recall a time when I used the 4wd with the trailer .. I guess there is always that one time when you would wish you had it, if you didn't, but ... i wonder what the real truth is on justifying the difference ... thots?

Hmmmm....4X4 and Towing....good question.
There have been occasions when I was towing, and needed the 4X4...once was to climb a steep gravel driveway with the trailer attached(no car on there), and other times when I'm out in a field picking up some poor old pos car (I have an awesome wench on my trailer). Other than that, I can't say I've ever towed
the trailer with a car on it, on a hard surface, in bad weather, and needed 4X4.
I don't know for sure, but imagine the Z66 Avalanche can be bought with the 3.73 rear gear and towing package. No doubt it would be at least a couple grand off the sticker. And with todays
rebates/zero interest/etc...it's real tempting.
Heck, I just bought a brand new 2002 Saturn last week...the dealer here had gotten a large allocation of the 02's - and were
dumping them. This little SL1 stickered for $14,975, and I got it
for $9,990, no money down, zero percent interest for 5 years.
Hard to say no.....and I'll just drive it some over the next 2 years, and give it to my youngest daughter when she hits 16.
:w

Once again .. I appreciate you taking time to respond. I'll keep you posted ...

RagTop

Interceptor430 said:

I don't know for sure, but imagine the Z66 Avalanche can be bought with the 3.73 rear gear and towing package. No doubt it would be at least a couple grand off the sticker.
:w

:duh

couple grand off the sticker.....uh....meant to say the 2X4 is at least a couple grand less than the 4X4.

Good luck dealing with the Dealer - be a tough sell!
:Steer :v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom