Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tranny leak

D

davrober

Got a small tranny leak. Local tranny guy changed the gasket on the pan twice, stays dry till driven then leaves several drops on floor overnight, Hes stumped anything like this generic to the 96 vette, anyone had a similar problem. Car runs and shifts perfect, tranny fluid temp is right on and fluid is beutiful? Its not overfilled and it appears to be coming from around the front pan screws but we cant find any warpage or dents? Thanks

L

Ls1smlblck

Did he torq em down to the proper spec. If so check it again then check the front pump seal.

V

vmrod

It could be the o-ring where the dipstick tube enter the tranney. Maybe it is a front oil seal leak. I have a horrible oil leak that I suspect is the front oil seal. (I don't see anything else leaking.) Once I get a few more thngs wrapped up on my car, I'll drop the tranny and replace the seal. (Probably replace anything I can while it's down.)

P

primeratec5

tranny leak

My '86 had a small tranny leak like yours---I did same as you but was still mopping up floor---neighbor works for an auto parts discount store and brought me some fluid that stopped leak after I emptied into transmission and then took it out on interstate and drove it hard for 30 or so miles.

D

dabvette

Tranny Leak

I, too, have a bad oil leak and a small tranny leak as well. Had the car up on the rack last week about the tranny leak and it appears that is is coming from my linkage and maybe the speedo. Fantastic tranny guy looked at it. Mike Adams who races a GM Goodwrench spnsored pro stock gave me this verdict. Haven't had it fixed yet but plan to. Mechanic said it does appear my front seal is leaking. It has gotten pretty bad to where I can smell the oil after running the car for a while. A lot of blow back on the under side. I have to watch where I park it. Hate to spot up somebody's driveway. Hate to spend the $$$ but gonna get the oil leak fixed, too.

Chris

D

davrober

tranny leak

Thanks fro the input, at least I have some ideas were to look for the guy when I bring it in next week.

billd

Corvette
2001 red convertible, 1985 wht
just fixed this problem

///i had a tranny leak similar to the one you are describing. It turned out to be the T.V. (throttle valve) cable linkage seal. It is just above the pan on the passenger side and the fluid from it runs down the side of the tans and along gaske t until it reaches the front of the transmission it them runs onto on of the front bolts and drips on the floor. It looks just like a leaky pan gasket.

The seal is cheap but a real pain to get to because of the exhaust system. To address this I made a patch pipe out of some aluminized pipe (about 6") cut the exhaust pipe and removed just the head pipe. installed the seal (on the cable first then into the tranny) installed the pipe using the bandage clamped the bandage installed the head pipe nuts and I am now in business.

Now you may be asking youself why not just drop the whole exhaust system. Simple remember my car is seventeen years old those head pipe studs are pretty much on there I had recently replaced the studs on one manifold and didnt relish the idea of repeating the process on the other side. Besides this worked great and I was done in three hours.

If your car has a TV cable you look to see if any oil is coming from there.

D

davrober

tranny leak.

Thanks Ill take a look tuesday, its going back up at the shop for some other work.

E

Eagle85C4

Corvette Fever Mag just had an artical on tranny leaks and how to fix them. I repaired mine at the shift rod as it goes into the tranny. Pulled it and replaced the o-ring and no more leak...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom