Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tranny Slipping

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
Last night on my way home, while doing about 40mph in traffic, gave the car some throttle to maintain my speed and the revs came up but the car wasn't accelerating. transmission was slipping.(It's an Automatic) I cautiously made it the other 5 miles home and tried not to go into "Pi$$ed Off Panic Mode". :cryThere was a definite burnt smell eminating when I got home. This morning I checked the fluid and it was almost I pint low and there was some charred residue on the dipstick (This could have been dirt or rust from the dipstick, I hope ) But the fluid was fairly clean. Took it down the street and back and its still slipping, but not as bad as before the fluid. I'm scarred to drive her though. My car has just over 75,000 miles on it and I've only put on 1500 of those since I bought it. My dealer reassured me that the tranny was inspected when they had it and everything was in good shape. Starting to doubt that.:mad Although the car has been running fine since my purchase and I've been nothing but good to her. I have a 10am appointment on monday to have it inspected and was wondering what I could be in for. I don't know much about the trans in my Vette.

Spiderman :w :_rock :cry

could be two thing (From my knowledge)

1.) Torque Converter- Would give you slips in shifting and also a burnt smell

2.) Valve body Clogged- If theres something in the Valve body it simply won't shift but I would'nt think it would make a burning smell unless something did'nt get oil for A LONG time.

Im betting on Number 1

Thanks I'll keep that in mind during the diagnosis. :D but still :cry

Hate to see your Pride and Joy Bleeding on the floor huh

Me to :cry

Been there, done that

As someone who has blown through a few trannys, it sounds to me like you are in for a rebuild. This sounds like what happened to me when my clutching material between the gears went bye-bye. You might also have a leak in your torque converter. Have you noticed any fluid underneath or in the rear of your vette? A good rebuild can cost upwards of 1500 bucks, but when it is done properly can give you that new car feeling. Good luck.
--Drew:w

My trans blew up on me and i brought it to get it rebuilt. I ended up throwing in a new Goodwrench unit which came with a 3yr 36k mile warranty. Glad I did. front pump blew up on that one and GM gave me another new trans. Bit pricey though... A little over 2 grand for the first trans!!! Car runs sweet though!!! Good luck on monday!!

That's another option

Luckilly, when I took my service van in at 99,500 miles (of a 100,000 mile warantee) they took one look inside the tranny and told me I get a new one. It does come with a 3/36 warantee. If you have the choice I would definately get the new unit. My 84 vette had a freshly re-built 700R4 when I bought it, and it has a shift kit in it (which I love). Let us know what happens.
--Drew:w

Eeeech

Nu Tranny 4 U

No not take NO for an answer.......

Stay & watch the teardown & inspection... if there's a lot of STUFF in the pan you need to have it rebuilt.

Who's telling you that thinks are OK... a sales guy? who probably dosen't know the difference between a sun gear & a U joint.

DO NOT TAKE ANY CR@P.....

If you have a Written Warranty... make em stick by it!

I HATE THESE GUYS!

Vig!

I agree with Vigman, stick it to 'em
if they gave you a warrenty on the
car!

--My family's experience with GM products
implies that most automatics last until
maybe 85-110 k unless they were over-
sized for the engine. Dodge automatics
only go 50 k or so!

--My brothers's Oldsmobile Sierra recently
had the tranny re-built, cost $1800 at the
cheapest rebuild place.

--I am so afraid of automatics because of
the above cost. For that reason, when I
bought my daily driver, my '95 firebird,
I had my mechanic drop the pan and
check the trany--and the rest of the
car too!

I'm actually playing phone tag right now with the transmission shop. Took it in this morning and it appears to only be slipping in 3rd and 4th gear. I had them take it out and go through it. Waiting on the $$damage report$$. He believes it's just the 3-4 clutch pack, so I'll know any minute now. I was right next to them when they pulled the pan and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary in there except for some clutch residue.

As for the warranty issue. I don't have one. :r
I bought the car "as is", but before everyone starts to freak out and yell at me, this is going through my dealer and they're being helpful.

Didn't really get to finish that last thread. The shop called. So I wish I could recall everything he said, but I agreed with his diagnosis and I'm going with a complete rebuild. All for the grand total of $1712.00 out the door. :eek

After I get over the money, this will put my mind at ease and I can get back to cruising. And yes the tranny will have a warranty.

Spiderman :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom