Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tranny to diff stiffener - help:)

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
apologize, don't know the right name for this bit. It has 2 18mm bolts on each end, one end attached to the tail end of the zf6 speed the other end attached to the diff housing.

I was feeling a little movement (up down) slight in the shift lever on a high rev shift like the tran was moving up/down maybe 1/8 inch so I thought I'd go look around.

I can turn one of the 18 mm bolts with an open end wrench pretty easy, I figure from the size it ought to be torqued 150 ft lbs or so.

Gotta drop the exhaust (of course) to get to it.

Questions are:

1) What's the torque spec

2) Should I add some medium loctite (remember this one gets raced a bit)

3)Is there a nut on the other side?

How to hold the top side while you torque the bottom, do you need two people? Any tricks of the trade?

Many thanks:)

--------------------
1996 LT4 Coupe

--------------------
1996 LT4 Coupe
Black/gray 50k miles

Loctite won't hurt on those C-beam bolts. I was able to hold two wrenches with no problems. I didn't torque them with a T-wrench; just mucho muscle.

DRIVELINE SUPPORT

Sealer
  • Apply a bead of sealer around the top and bottom mating surfaces of driveline to axle and transmission extension at points D and also to the cavity around the bolts at point E (Inside and outside of where the bolts pass through the support beam attachment points ;). Use Sealer #96336067 or equivalent.
Insulator
  • Remove insulator with flat blade scraper, clean surface, install insulator by removing the backing on the insulator and pressing the insulator to obtain adhesion to support beam. trim off any overhang.
Torque the front bolts at the transmission attachment points to 50Nm (37 ft.lbs.) and the rear bolts at the differential housing to 80Nm (59 ft. lbs.). :CAC

Thanks guys,

This sealer, if there a generic (NAPA or Pep Boy) equivalent? I assume it's to seal the hole so water & crap does not work it's way into the area?

I used the standard black silcone sealer...

81158.jpg

Thanks Ken:)

Ken said:
I used the standard black silcone sealer...

81158.jpg
I use the Ultra Black that Permatex makes..it's the closest to GMS (what we used at the dealer) that I've found and superior to the regular black RTV.

To tell you the truth, I can't remember if it was the standard or ultra that I used. :eek:

I think those make sense, but crips that's a lot of $$$$ (179.), how much were they when the GP was done?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom