Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission Hunts...

Diver

Corvette
1981 Black on Black, 2006 Victory Red Coupe
My transmission has just started recently to slip back and forth between speeds of 35 to 55. It just seems to do it. When I step on the gas and and run it up to 65mph it doesn't do it. It's not really downshifting but like when a conventional auto with OD slips in out out. Some days when does it right away and other days it will start doing it after having driven 10 to 15 miles. I looked at GerryLP's transmission manual JPEGS but didn't see where it addressed this problem. Could it be the "Detent cable" needs adjusting at the carb? Any input would be helpful before I take it to the shop. Thanks for any info.

Sounds like you TCC (Torque Clutch Converter) is popping in and out. Very typical with TH350 tranny's. I got tired on mine doing it so I bypassed the system and put a manual override switch in the circuit and now I just flip the switch, TCC locks in and won't pop out until I cut the switch off.

........... Nut

Before you condemn the trans, borrow a scan tool and go for a test drive. When the car act up check the "torque converter clutch engaged" info to see if it's "yes" or "no". If it's no, or switches back and forth, you may have a computer problem, or some sensor may be out of wack, causing the computer to go out of closed loop. Once it's out, the computer will command the torque converter clutch to disengage.
If it stays on "Yes" or "On" constant, then either it's something simple like a torque converter clutch solenoid, bad ground, or a converter problem.

What's the usual fix for this problem with the TCC? I don't know enough to do the switch fix that you did. Is it gonna be expensive??? :cry

Vettenick and Nut; Thank you both for this info. When the weather warms up next week I'll go to the shop with your information. Vettenick your reply I think has reduced my anxiety a whole bunch. Thanks

Diver.... the switch cost me $3.00 and penny's for some wire. Cut the switch in at the brake release circuit. Put the switch in the defrost slot on the center console. I have no need for the defrost since I have a '82 CE pop up rear window in mine. If I can find where I copied the circuit change I'll fax it to you. Stay tuned. I did this over 15 years ago.

............. Nut (bob)

One other item to keep in mind is that the computer connections at the computer are not that great. You could have a bad computer connector too, especially since this happens intermittently.
Don't mind me...I'm just thinking.
Nick

Diver,

Check for the "Check Engine" light either flickering or coming on and off as the car surges between speeds. A bad solenoid will tend to leak between the tranny valve body surface and the solenoid. So, you should NOT see a "Check engine" lightlight indication when the cause is a leak, since the solenoid still sends the signal to the computer that is closed. An electrical problem with the solenoid should give you a "check engine" light.

At any rate, I suggest you try removing the transmission oil pan AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVINIENCE ( depends on how often you drive it) and check for a dirty oil and filter, wiring problems with the solenoid, and amount of metal shavings in the pan before taking the car to a shop for more in-depth work. If you can, make a diagram of the wiring connections or take a photo for later reference. Many TH350 models and configurations were available and the book did not showed the one that my car had.

If the solenoid works well electrically, then problem should not appear at other speeds.

Gerry, Nick, and Bob Thanks guys for your replies and input. I've copied it all and will take it with me when I go back to the shop.

Gerry I had the fluid and filter changed about two weeks ago when this started. My mechanic wanted to do that first without doing anything more in depth. On the way home it ran great. I thought, "Oh great!" Last weekend I drove it to town and it started the "hunt" again. I thought, "Oh ----!" Oh well. At least thanks to you three I have a menu of items for him too look at. Gerry I lived in Alamogordo for seven years back in the 70s. Love N.M.

Bob I don't know where in Md you live but I lived near Hagerstown for 15 years as a kid. Use to go to a drag strip there called Mason Dixon Drag Strip.

Nick. Sorry. Never lived in New York. I do have a relative that lives in N.J. That's close.

Thanks again you three for your help. I'll keep you posted after the follow up at the shop. Probably next week sometime.

Terry in Tennessee

Glad to help..these are general guidelines or suggestions, so please post back and tell us what finally solved the problem. Take care! :w

p.s. NM wheather is great for low rust on cars, but I could use some of the moisture and beauty found in Tennesee...

p.s. #2

I found the thread where Nut, Mike (Stingray6974) and Evariste have a very good discussion on the lock-up converters. Converter lock-up

Gerry thanks for the info. I set the ole printer to work this morning. Lots of good info on that "Converter lock up" Thread.

Thanks again
Terry in Tn

Diver,
I'm about 30 miles from Hagerstown in south central PA and just to let you know, Mason Dixon Dragway is still alive and well and running every weekend in the summer months.
Glad to meet ya ex-neighbor! :w

KC

Hello KC, I still go thru that area on I-81 twice a year to visit relatives over in Martinsburg, WV and thru Carlisle to NJ to visit realatives there also.
Nice to hear from ya. Oh yeah, the weather was too bad to take my car into the shop this week. Hope to get it there next week. Will post the results after I do.
Terry in Tn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom