Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

transmission sensor?

L48

I was helping a friend of mine with his "new" stick shift C4 convertible. It is a 90' I believe. While under the car we noticed a wire coming off a cylindrical sensor sticking out the driver side of the transmission and the connector had been resting on the exhaust at some point and it melted the connector. For whatever reason the prior owner had disconnected it from the wiring harness so the harness side is not bad. The backup lights work so I know that is not what this is. Do you have any idea what this is for?

The 6 Speeds had a systen called CAGS, Computer Assisted Gear Shift, or something like that that inhibited shifting from 1st to 2nd under certain conditions, would only let you shift to 4th. Had to do with CAFE, a mileage thing mandated by the Feds.

Had it on my 90 & disconnected it just as yours has been disconnected.

If you have an owners manual it will explain the operation much better that I can. As I recall there was a round cylindrical affair on the D/sdie of the trans that I disconnected. To bad it wasn't tied off properly before it got burned.

Yes, they pulled the cable to defeat the 1-4 CAGS shift. But, there were better ways. You can get small cable assemblies that connect both ends of the cable, both to hold them and keep them clean (for future connection) and in some later models to defeat the 1-4 idiot light on the instrument cluster.

Too bad yours is melted, but should be no harm.

Bob

Thanks for your replies. I know he has the owners manual so we can read all about it there.

When I saw it there my instinct was to zip tie both connectors to the wiring harness they came from to keep them out of harms way - so I did that, even though the damage is already done on the sensor/solenoid side.

Sounds like a replacement would be expensive. Can I get a replacement connector and replace the burnt out one?

Unless he's planning on using the CAGS I would let it go until He sells it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom