Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission swap

milo30

I am still debating getting an LS1/ tranny pulled out of a camaro or GTO and doing a swap. I am starting to lean back more to something like this http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...t-Cam-Installed-12496769-HOT-CAM-P962C53.aspx

I have even toyed with the idea of getting the ZZ454 for the car.

I wanted to hear some suggestions on which OD tranny to go with my 370 gears that would be the best to go with for one of those 2 engines. I was thinking of a keisler 5 sp kit but have seen some people posting about vibration problems with these. What GM tranny would fit and hold up the best?

I have considered swapping to an auto but will probably stay with a manual. I figure that I will have about 1 - 2 months to make my decision. I just want to make the right decision.

I am still debating getting an LS1/ tranny pulled out of a camaro or GTO and doing a swap. I am starting to lean back more to something like this http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...t-Cam-Installed-12496769-HOT-CAM-P962C53.aspx

I wanted to hear some suggestions on which OD tranny to go with my 370 gears that would be the best to go with for one of those 2 engines. I was thinking of a keisler 5 sp kit but have seen some people posting about vibration problems with these. What GM tranny would fit and hold up the best?

I have considered swapping to an auto but will probably stay with a manual. I figure that I will have about 1 - 2 months to make my decision. I just want to make the right decision.

TKO would hold up the best.

If you stay auto... a level 3 BTO 700R4 would work too. Or- go with a TH350 and a gear vendors overdrive. Really, it comes down to how much you want to spend.

Another direction- balance the car for what you will do with it.

Get the right tranny to go with the right engine, the right rear gearing, suspension, and so forth. A good balance will go a long way. Consider that against what your plans are for the car. Drag racing, road racing, and then touring are all different and require different tweaks / combos.

Displacement and hp mean nothing if you can't get it to the successfully ground.

Personally, I would go for the Keisler swap. First, to me there is nothing like the feeling of shifting gears with a badass motor under your foot, second, the Keisler kit appears to have pretty much everything needed to do the swap (http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/corvette_68-82_auto.asp), finally... c'mon, a 5 speed would be pretty damn cool :cool.

Ralph

It's going to be a 5 sp. I just read some posts on here of guys having vibration problems with the tranny and I just don't want to pay that much money and have problems. More that I check in to it that probably is the way to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom