Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission

RUDD301

Corvette
84 BRONZE TWO TONE
Hi, my name is Bob and I am new here. I have a 84 vette that I just got about 3 weeks ago. My problem is in my transmission I think. It is an automatic and when I step on the gas it will take off fine but it will not shift into the next gear. It bogs down until I let off the gas and then step on it again. I was also told my cat converter could be clogged. Any ideas????;help

:w Bob and Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community!

We have a member here from Colorado Springs ... goes by geekinavette his real name is Bill & I would say he probably knows about as much about the 84 Automatic Tranny as anyone & Probably knows more about it than most folks.

Bill has had his apart a couple of times and rebuilt it. You can look him up via the Members List in the blue bar drop down menu. Drop Bill a PM (personal message) or email. He is also a really nice guy and has made several modifications to his 84 ;)

Enjoy your :Steer and good luck with your 84 ;)

Bud

Three times to be exact Bud! :L But as you witnessed...it works quite niiiiicely now :D

Bob...it sounds like you're dealing with two different problems...trans not shifting and "bogging", which I'd imagine aren't related.

Couple of questions for starters...how many miles does the car have on it, is everything original (engine, trans, exhaust...etc), and what does the fluid on the trans dipstick look like?

Bill

HI there,
It would be recommended to check your governor on the tailshaft of the transmission.
That gear that drives it sometimes will wear out, and the transmission will NOT shift to the higher gears from first.
Allthebest, c4c5

Welcome to CAC! Sorry to hear you're having tranny problems, hope you're able to get it resolved and back on the road so you can enjoy it without too much headache!

Bob, Welcome aboard. Hope you get your problem solved.

Tammy

Hello Bob and welcome to the :CAC These guys that have already responded to you are the best in the business, as far as I am concerned, and if you give them the infromation that they ask for, I am sure they can get to the bottom of your problem. :w

smilies-42650.png

As you can see, Bob, our members are first rate and ready to help where they can when they can!

Good luck with your issues. Hopefully you'll be enjoying your C4 and the CAC equally soon.

:w Jane Ann

Welcome to CAC!!!:CAC
hope you enjoy the forums!!!!!!

Thanks so much for such a great welcome, and so many helpful responses. I think I have discovered my problem. I had my car checked at a tranny shop and found out my tranny is fine but I may have a blocked cat converter. I was getting a new one anyways so I ordered one with my flowmaster mufflers. Cannot wait to really feel what this car can do. Thanks again Bob

If whatever is going on with the engine is preventing the car's speed and engine RPM from increasing sufficiently to shift into second gear...then yeah I can see that. Other than that...a restricted cat converter will not prevent the transmission from shifting.

Have you tried just letting it get up to speed slowly? Even with a restricted cat you should be able to get enough speed going to shift into second.

Not good for the engine to run with a clogged cat tho (especially if it's THAT bad)...if you suspect that then probably best to just leave it until that's replaced.

Bill

Hi, my name is Bob and I am new here. I have a 84 vette that I just got about 3 weeks ago.

Welcome Bob, glad you could join us, take care and stay in touch.

Bill

If I do get up to speed slowly it is about 50/50 getting it to shift into second.
I am not driving it till I have it taken care of. It has about 95,000 miles on it and it is in top condition every where else. I got a very good deal on it so I am hoping it is a small problem. What ever else I do to it is gravy. It is my first vette. I am 53 years old and have wanted one since I was 10. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it ends up. Bob

If I do get up to speed slowly it is about 50/50 getting it to shift into second.

You will get it the way it is supose to be; nothing else in the world like driving :Steer a Vette.

Take care and good luck; keep us posted on your progress.

Bill :w

welcome to the club.:) :) :) :) :) Billy

Bob, Welcome to CAC. Sounds like your problem is more then a blocked cat. Hope you get this resolved and have much fun with your new Vette. Congratulations...

Hey everyone. Good news. My 84 is back on the road. It was a clogged converter. Put on a new one with new flowmaster50's and she is movin now. What fun driving her. Thanks for everyons help. Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom