Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tremec and t56 tranny!! help!!

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
To keep it simple: will these trannys bolt up to a 76' 350. I am thinking they should, since both these trannys have been used with lt1s.....

I know for a fact the LS1 T-56 doesn't, not sure about LT1's.

Make sure you get it with the .5 6th gear, thats what really makes them shine.

Keisler already has this figured out.

For $3,000 you can get a TKO five speed to fit your car.

For $4,000 you can get a T56 with the .5 OD set to fit your car.

As far as modding it on your own...it can be done. The shifter will stick through the wrong spot. No worries if you are not worried about a stock interior.

The LS1 T56 WILL NOT FIT as noted above.

The lt1 t56 will fit tho right? ......maybe the shifter would come thru if you used the mid shift position on the tranny....i sent a tech guy an email..hoping to get a response.....if i do the 5 or 6 speed thing i dont wanna spend over 1400 bucks....i know it can be done if i look around enough . thanks for the replies

Fortes has Tremec conversions for Vettes, the shifter is not in the correct place but it can be done.

http://www.fortesparts.com/

I have a TKO and going all new lakewood scattershield, centerforce clutch drive shaft cut and balanced new flywheel etc it was just under $3000 to do it on the cheap using your old clutch parts the TKO is about $1900 the 3550 is $1600 you will need a conversion yoke $90 or make one yourself.
It is well worth the money and work the lower 1st gear feels like 4:11s and I cruise 70+at 2000 rpm I just took a run to Toledo at around 80 mph just under 2500 RPM on the turnpike.:eek

mine is a 76 also

Boss Vette

A lot of the LS1 guys have had bad experiences with centerforce.

Spec Stage III clutches are really good. I have a friend with one and he absolutly loves it. Car feels like stock but grabs hard, according to him. A little chatter during break in but eventually goes away.

just a heads up

I must have a good one then I've got maybe 20,000+++ miles and three years on my dual disk. But I did follow the 500 mile break it in like grandma routine and I don't race it but I do run it hard and have auto-crossed it a couple times

bossvette said:
I must have a good one then I've got maybe 20,000+++ miles and three years on my dual disk. But I did follow the 500 mile break it in like grandma routine and I don't race it but I do run it hard and have auto-crossed it a couple times

I know a couple of guys have blown them up, literally, including the flywheel.

I guess driving manners do play a big part :L

being a little older I don't rev it up and side step the clutch anymore, but build my engines for torque so I can dump the clutch hard at 2500-3000 and smoke-em a 6000 rpm rev-limiter helps also.
In my younger days I built horsepower engines high rpms, and many broken parts but I had the youth to rebuild often:L
I would imagine it was the flywheel rather then the clutch which blew up, the flywheel should take a clutch explosion without disintegrating, but the flywheel will take everything with it

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom