Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble with "FLAT SPOTTING" on NITTO NT555 EXTREME ZR

LORR1943

Corvette
1987 BRIGHT RED CONVERTABLE,RED & BLACK INTERIOR,
Is anyone in Vette Land having trouble with the NITTO NT555 EXTREME ZR tires flat spotting after sitting for a while, especially with cooler or cold weather? These tires have Nylon in them and Nylon is famous for flat spotting in tires.
Would appreciate some input. Thanks!:w

:w
I have Goodyear F1's on my '89 and I will get flat spots on them if it sits for awhile. Its not the tires you have, but its the same condition you have. Usually mine will go away after they warm up and a few miles on them. The longer it sits I guess, the worse the flat spot, or the longer to go away. How long does yours sit? A couple weeks shouldn't be all that bad, but if longer, like putting away for the winter, it could be very noticible. The only suggestions I can give you is to put it up on blocks while storing it for long periods, or drive it around on short trips as often as possible. I'm taken for granted the tires aren't out of round or the rims bent and its a flat spot. I don't know if this will help you or if its a good thing to do, but you might check with some tire people first, but maybe over inflating the tires before it sits. You would have to deflate them to the right pressure before driving though. Just a thought and not a recomendation. Be carefull not to over do it with the pressure if you try that. Hope someone else has a better answer, but I thought I'd put my two cents in the meantime. Good Luck!....Bill

My Nitto Invo's will flat spot after sitting for weeks in the winter. After a few miles it disappears. I try to move car every few weeks during winter just to warm up fluid and get joints loose along w cleaning up the rotors.

Is anyone in Vette Land having trouble with the NITTO NT555 EXTREME ZR tires flat spotting after sitting for a while, especially with cooler or cold weather? These tires have Nylon in them and Nylon is famous for flat spotting in tires.
Would appreciate some input. Thanks!:w

Thanks guys! I actually drive this car daily. It has this shimmy after it sits for two or three hours. I had a little movement in my right front wheel bearing and I replaced it, but it still shimmies after sitting a while. I don't believe it's the steering shaft knuckle or any other steering components because it goes away after driving a few miles.
I think I'll take it to a tire shop when it is still cold and let them test it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Sounds like the rack and pinion unit. A friend of mine with an 85 has the same problem with his. Only does it when cold, after it warms up. its ok.

I run BF Goodrich on mine and they too will flatspot if I let it sit for any length of time. Thankfully, this part of Colorado lets me drive it year round so it isn't much of an issue. Couple of miles and they're just fine.

Minimize Flat Spots

Park you car on pieces of padded carpet.

It seems to eliminate the flat spots and I swear my tires hold air pressure better while in storage.

MCC

My Kuhmos do the same thing. After sitting overnight in the garage they are very rough for a couple of miles then they smooth right out. If they have sat for several days it may take up to 5 miles to get them smoothed out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom