Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Truth about the Anti-Clunker Legislation...

C

C3RVETTE

The Truth About Anti-Clunker Legislation

Anti-Clunker legislation is the broad based term being applied to various programs designed to remove antique and classic autos from the road in the name of environmental safety.

Did you know at this very moment there are lawmakers on the municipal, State and Federal levels that would seek to deprive you of your rights to own and drive a classic car? Anti-Clunker legislation is the broad based term being applied to various programs designed to remove antique and classic autos from the road in the name of environmental safety. While we strongly agree that future generations do have every right to clean air and water, collector cars do not significantly contribute to the overall majority of pollutants in today’s world. The old car hobby faces a bleak future if people do not speak out for their rights NOW !

Here's What You Need to Know...
The majority of funds allocated for lobbying efforts are spent not by well meaning environmental groups, but by oil companies who seek to receive pollution credits for each car that is scrapped! Oil companies can then use their carbon allocations to continue polluting the air we breathe and the fragile marine environments that feed our world.There are many State and local politicians seeking to use archaic nuisance laws to remove the millions of classic cars that await restoration. By declaring a vehicle parked on private property an eyesore, the government may force the owners, often elderly people on fixed incomes, to prove that these vehicles are in proper running order or face forfeiture? How many collectors have fond memories of buying their first Chevy from the nice old ladies and gentlemen who were glad to see their treasured car, that held so many happy memories, go to a young person who would lovingly restore the car to showroom new condition? Is it fair to deprive owners and collectors of project cars awaiting restoration just because they can’t restore a car quickly enough to
please the local bureaucrats?In the mid 1950s and early 60s you could buy a 12 cylinder custom bodied Packard or Cadillac V16 for less than $200.00. Back
then, these hand crafted classics were considered “old junkers”, today these priceless relics are rolling pieces of automotive history, displayed in world class museums and sometimes exchanging hands for millions of dollars! Is it fair to deprive a wide-eyed 16 year old the right to experience the exhilaration of hauling home a ‘64 Impala to fix up with dad and the proud day when
the project is completed? We think not.

Here's What You Can Do...
Each and every hobbyist has a responsibility to his or herself, as well as future generations, to speak up now in order to preserve our rights to share this unique slice of American culture with others. Cars are not just transportation, they are time machines that transport us back to our first prom in Dad's Bel Air, or family trips in the back of a wagon. From weddings to bringing home our firstborn children, these machines have been there for us. It would truly be a great loss, for all of those who have lived, loved, and traveled the roadway of life, if these great autos were forever condemned to the scrap heap, like so much rubbish. Don't let the lawmakers send your memories to the junkyard. We have listed several groups by region for you to contact to find out what you can do to get involved. You can also contact your local representatives and senators to voice your opposition to Anti-Clunker legislation. Help stop this shameful assault on the American car! Join Classic Industries® in fighting the Anti-Clunker laws and help keep our hobby alive!

Auto Restoration Market Organization
Council of SEMA

Legislative Affairs P.O. Box 4910
Diamond Bar, California 91765-0910
(909) 396-0289 Fax: (909) 860-0184
Email: member@sema.org
Web: www.sema.org

American Auto Heritage Foundation
P.O. Box 482
Carlisle, Pennsylvania 17013-0482
(717) 240-0976 Fax: (717) 240-0931

Citizens Against Repressive Zoning
P.O. Box 536
Haslett, Michigan 48840-0536
(517) 351-6751 Fax: (517) 339-4926
Email: malzoning@aol.com
Web: http://clubs.hemmings.com

Clean Air Performance Professionals
Public Relations 84 Hoy Avenue
Fords, New Jersey 08863
(732) 738-7859 Fax: (732) 738-7625
Email: stellacapp@earthlink.net
Web: http://clubs.hemmings.com

Coalition for Auto Repair Equality
119 Oronoco Street, Suite 300
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-2015
(800) 229-5380 Fax: (703) 519-7747
Email: care@careauto.org
Web: www.careauto.org

COVA/CVAG Inc.
P.O. Box 2136
West Paterson, New Jersey 07424-3311
(800) 227-7166 Fax: (973) 279-3779
Email: info@covacvag.org
Web: www.covacvag.org

National Motorists Association
402 West 2nd Street
Waunakee, Wisconsin 53597-1342
(608) 849-6000 Fax: (608) 849-8697
Email: nma@motorists.com
Web: www.motorists.com

Jon,

Good info, thanks for posting!

- Eric:w

Even though I don't have any memories of the wonderful classics (born in 83, went to prom in a 96 Bonneville, my first car was a 91 Buick Regal GS, etc...) I still love the old cars. I have enjoyed going to car shows, cruise ins, and even seeing old cars at old drive in movie theaters. I get a lot of funny looks from people around town, they look at the car, then they look at me and wonder if I'm old enough to even remember the car. I may not be, but this car to me is not just a car... this car has a lot of history... and I plan to help this Corvette get back on the good side of the tracks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom