Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tuning really necessary with Backwing?

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
Lots of disputes on which air intake is best, but I would like to know if the re-learn is enough (to prevent running too lean) or if a re-programing is necessary with a Blackwing or similar intake to bring the engine specs to where they should be in terms of fuel/air. Seems most are just running on the re-learn. Thanks.

I didn't have any tuning done when I had my Blackwing installed in May. The vette just accepted it & away we went.

I didn't tune mine either and it runs fine, although I have read that it can run lean at WOT and a tuning will give you full advantage of an intake swap. As it is however, I have not noticed much of a difference between the Backwing and the ZO6 box I had on it.

CeeFive said:
As it is however, I have not noticed much of a difference between the Backwing and the ZO6 box I had on it.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between the Blackwing and the stock C5 airbox. The biggest difference I noticed was when I put the cold air screens in to replace the stock solid ones. It definitely felt like the car was breathing better.

The following was suggested to me after BlackWing install by a local tuner. Once all connections are completed start the vehicle, turn on AC let idle 5 minutes, turn off AC then idel for another 5 minutes, shut down. This was supposed to help with the AF ratio. I have not had any issues at all since the install of the filter in June. During the install I was actually horrified by the factory air intake in front of the air bridge. Heck the motor was literally breathing thru four small holes. Good luck.:pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom