Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

turbo mufflers

drsantos

Corvette
1981 Charcoal met, 4-speed
Has anyone used the Turbo mufflers part number 603-870 from madvet.com, are they louder than stock?

I had them when I first bought the car. Then I went Flowmaster 40s. I liked the Flowmaster sound better- meaner, and definitely louder though. I've got hooker headers and sidepipes now with the spiral turbo mufflers. Haven't heard them yet- very anxious :) Car's been out of service 2 months now, should be up in two weeks or so...

Went with flowmaster Delta 40's, getting alot of popping on deceleration however.

Thanks

drsantos said:
Went with flowmaster Delta 40's, getting alot of popping on deceleration however.

Thanks
Isn't that a jetting problem?

the popping is fuel burning in the mufflers. It could be that the 40's offer such a better flow that combined with the cam overlap, unburned fuel is getting sucked into the exhaust where it explodes fromthe heat.

headers

I have an 81 Vette with a stock exhaust system and a "hollowed" replacement cat. converter with 40's. They 40's sound real nice. I had the thrush turbos and they sounded good too but I like the 40's better.

I am looking to replace the current exhaust manifolds with a good set of headers and complete dual system, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find bolt on replacements or maybe an entire kit/system? I don't want to modify the car to accomodate the duals but i would prefer a true dual system.
The car has stock heads and cam with an Edelbrock 650. ECM system is disconnected and the distributor has been changed to a vacuum type from a 1979.

Thanks,
Vette333

vette333 said:
does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find bolt on replacements or maybe an entire kit/system?

Take a look in the catalogues. I think I was looking in the Corvette America catalogue when I changed mine over. I ended up going with a custom set up with Delta 50's, 2 1/4" pipe and dual cats.

There are a lot of dual exhaust kits, though because of emmision requirements they are all stated to be for off-road use. Some bolt to the stock ram horns but, if I recall correctly, most are set up for headers.

I added the Dynomax ceramic coated to mine. An easy install.

Does your car have the trans crossmember with the dual cutouts. If not, a search here will find how people have gotten around this but it is a complication.

Thanks for the response. I've looked at the Jeg's and Summit and could not find a good match for the 81.
I'll have to check the Trans cross member to see if i have the cut-outs.

Thanks,
Vette333

vette333 said:
Thanks for the response. I've looked at the Jeg's and Summit and could not find a good match for the 81.
I'll have to check the Trans cross member to see if i have the cut-outs.

Thanks,
Vette333
Check out Mid America, they have a bolt on True Dual system that brings the left side over to run along side the right exaust. They also offer them in stainless steel.:w :Steer

Thanks for the information, I'll look them up.

Regards,
Vette333

80crabvette said:
Check out Mid America, they have a bolt on True Dual system that brings the left side over to run along side the right exaust. They also offer them in stainless steel.:w :Steer
80 Crabvette:
I just ordered my dual pipe from Mid-America. Did you change your stock exhaust manifolds over to full length headers? If yes, what brand/type headers?

Thanks again,
Vette333

vette333 said:
80 Crabvette:
I just ordered my dual pipe from Mid-America. Did you change your stock exhaust manifolds over to full length headers? If yes, what brand/type headers?

Thanks again,
Vette333
I have'nt changed anything yet ,i'm just looking to see what is out there. My 1980 still has the original exaust system on it, only 14,860 miles one owner. I'm going to true duals for sure before spring, no headers for now.Emission laws are tough here in Pa. even with classic plates. You are still required to run a cat, and my FORMER inspection guy looks under the car instead of the other way. I can't blame him, he could be fined thousands of dollars and lose his inspection license and be out of business. Did you order stainless or aluminized. I think I'm going stainless with Magnaflow stainless mufflers.:v

80crabvette said:
Emission laws are tough here in Pa. even with classic plates. You are still required to run a cat, and my FORMER inspection guy looks under the car instead of the other way.

Emmisions laws are actually set by the Feds with all cars required to have the original equipment. The enforcement is then left up to the states and that is where the gray areas come in.

80crabvette said:
I have'nt changed anything yet ,i'm just looking to see what is out there. My 1980 still has the original exaust system on it, only 14,860 miles one owner. I'm going to true duals for sure before spring, no headers for now.Emission laws are tough here in Pa. even with classic plates. You are still required to run a cat, and my FORMER inspection guy looks under the car instead of the other way. I can't blame him, he could be fined thousands of dollars and lose his inspection license and be out of business. Did you order stainless or aluminized. I think I'm going stainless with Magnaflow stainless mufflers.:v

I live in PA and got antique plates instead of classic. No inspection or further registration fees. Can you do the same?

80crabvette said:
You are still required to run a cat, and my FORMER inspection guy looks under the car instead of the other way.
What's this about "FORMER inspection guy" ?????
:confused

You changing inspection stations?????
;)

I have had a classic PA tag for years. I've never had any 'emission inspection' problems what so ever. I'd be looking for another inspection station. I know about all that 'its federal law' bull but it is emission exempt in PA. Let the federals come hunt me down. Me thinks they have more to worry about than an old 81 Corvette driven on occasional weekends wreaking havoc on our enviornment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom