Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turning signal problems

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
Recently I've been having problems with my turning signals. They intermittently won't work. I'll depress the lever but nothing happens (the same happens for going the opposite way). The lights don't blink and the arrow indicators on the dash don't come on. If I return the lever and use the warning hazards, the indicators work and the lights work. This problem comes and goes and I'm unable to do anything to bring it on or fix it when it happens. I'm guessing this means the contact in the lever is going but I just wanted to see if anyone had this happen before I go visit the dealer.

Bioscache2 said:
Recently I've been having problems with my turning signals. They intermittently won't work. I'll depress the lever but nothing happens (the same happens for going the opposite way). The lights don't blink and the arrow indicators on the dash don't come on. If I return the lever and use the warning hazards, the indicators work and the lights work. This problem comes and goes and I'm unable to do anything to bring it on or fix it when it happens. I'm guessing this means the contact in the lever is going but I just wanted to see if anyone had this happen before I go visit the dealer.
some owners have found the problem is caused by the hazard switch. spraying contact cleaner into the hazard switch seems to fix the problem.

motorman said:
some owners have found the problem is caused by the hazard switch. spraying contact cleaner into the hazard switch seems to fix the problem.
Thanks for the tip, now before I pull the dash apart to get at the contact behind the hazard button anything thats not intuitive in that process?

I would suggest turning the hazard lights on and off several times, cycling the switch. I believe that c4c5 has recommended this as a diagnosis/temporary cure.

I have the same problem with my 2001 coupe. It started when the weather warmed up, I've noticed it usually happens when the car is around 80 deg F. I hit the hazard switch 6 or so times real quick then they usually work OK until the next day. If not, I hit it again 6 more times and that always does it.
I'm looking for some plastic friendly, no oil contact cleaner to spray in from the outside without taking the dash off but haven't found it yet.
Save the wave! Doc

DocOhm said:
I have the same problem with my 2001 coupe. It started when the weather warmed up, I've noticed it usually happens when the car is around 80 deg F. I hit the hazard switch 6 or so times real quick then they usually work OK until the next day. If not, I hit it again 6 more times and that always does it.
I'm looking for some plastic friendly, no oil contact cleaner to spray in from the outside without taking the dash off but haven't found it yet.
Save the wave! Doc
Doc, the only contact cleaner I have is not oil friendly, hence the quote about taking apart the dash, if you, or anyone else for that matter, finds or knows about one that I could just spray around the button I'd love to hear it.

Mine did the same thing briefly about a year ago, and happend quite often. I just hit the hazzard switch a number of times and the turn signals started working again. I have just this year replace the multi-switch due to the parking lights, dash lights and etc. quit working all together, and they started out as an intermittant problem as well and finally just quit all together. The switch was expensive but I did replace it without pulling the steering wheel or air bag module. The hardest part was taking off the panels around the steering column and the lower dash section to get to it. There is a little trick to it but it can be done. . . . . . Everything works as designed now, "knock on wood!"

Bill :w

Common problem with this hazard switch which also controls the turn signals..... get to it by pulling the stereo head unit partially back.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom