Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

U Joint issues

tomls1

Corvette
C4-Sold, C5-Sold. Currently, C6-2007 Z51
has anyone had any problems with u joints in their c5? i'm getting a slight clunking/clucking/clicking noise in the rear of the car when i first pull away. any thoughts?;shrug

i remember the u joints on my c4 went bad, i'm wondering if this is common on the c5.

The sound you hear could be from the anti-sway bar links. They can be difficult to get tight enough and if not tightened completely (to specs) they can slip a bit causing the sounds you describe. Also these same sounds can come from the limited slip cluth packs when they chatter. The chattering is caused from insufficient limited slip additive in the rear axle lubricant.

I've never heard of anyone having problems with their U-joints on a C5, and if it were the u-joints , you should feel a vibration in the drivetrain as you drive.

thanks for the response...i'll check the anti-sway bar links.

also, forgive my ignorance:confused , but can you tell me more about the additive in the rear axle lubricant. what's it called, and how is used? as you can see, i'm still learning a lot about this car.:pat

The limited slip axle additive is part no. 1052358 and comes in 4 oz plastic bottles, available at your Chevy Dealer and other places.

When changing the differential lubricant use a synthetic SAE 75W-90 meeting GM Spec 9986115 or equivalent Plus the 4 oz of GM additive. This should give you quality noise free operation of the differential. If some chatter occurs at a later date, then adding about 2 oz of the additive will clear up the noise.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom