Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Uneven amounts of brake dust

Zixxer

Corvette
1982 Red Coupe
I originally had the rotors and new pads installed all the way around on my 96 LT1 about 500 miles ago. At the time the tech noted a small tear in the boot on one of the front calipers and mentioned I might need to address that in the future. Additionally, the entire brake system was flushed. I put new tires and rims, paint the calipers (careful not to get any where it doesn't belong) and watched myself on the break-in process. The front left rim appeared to have a lot more brake dust build up so I suspect the right caliper was sticking...based upon the previously mentioned torn seal. I went ahead and bought two new calipers (remans) and had them installed. The tech mentioned I might need to replace the front pads again since there was probably some glazing, or we could sand them. Well it's been about 300 miles and there's still a lot more brake dust on the left side. I also replaced the front brake lines when I got the calipers. I haven't taken it back to the shop because I wanted to see if anyone could offer some advice first. Thanks Rick

I dont know, but now that you mention it I have the same issue. I really never thought about it though.

Could this be a possibility of the brakes not being broken in yet? Is it affecting the braking of the car? Are you swaying to one side or another?

The brake rotors and pads now have about 500 miles on them. The calipers have about 250 miles. It brakes straight and feels fine, I just want to ensure all this service and parts are not wasted or there is something else wrong.

Extra brake dust

Fortunately this hasn't happened to my '95 LT-1 but I've had it on 4 other cars. The flexible brake line fails and acts like a check valve, holding pressure on the brake cylinder after the pedal is released.

The diagnosis is to ge the wheel in the air, spin it, apply the brakes hard then release, then spin again. If it drags at all, release the bleeder screw. If that eliminates the drag, it's the brake hose.

Couldn't believe this when I first heard it and replaced just about everything else in the front brakes. Finally heard the diagnosis technique, tried it, replaced the flexible hose and the extra dust problem (and 8,000 mile brake life) went away.

After that three other cars got fixed a lot quicker.

Hope this helps

I did replace the front brake lines at the time the calipers were replaced. I even went back to the shop and we went over the bleeding process to ensure it was done right.

How long should it take for an OEM brake pad to break-in? I hoping at this point it's just the lack of break-in on the right front so I'm going to try a new set of pads this weekend. I will perform the test you mentioned just to see if maybe I got a bad brake line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom