Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Uneven Tire Wear

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
I had the car aligned about 9000 miles ago, (April 05). The left front tire shows tread wear on the edges very obviously compared to the right front. The car feels pretty much aligned and I check the tire pressure almost every week, as I drive about 50 miles a day at highway speeds. Any ideas why the wear pattern looks like it does? Looks like I'm going to have to replace the left front much earlier than any of the others.

I would make sure they are running the same pressure in both. Also take it back, and have them put it on the alignment rack again. Our cars are more prone to alignment problems I think. The low profile, and wide tires I would think have a larger margin of wear, and would show small signs early.

Can hurt to have them put it back on, 9000 miles is a long time, what kind of roads do you have in your area?

tire wear

Check the tie rod end and ball joints. Actually, the alignment shop should do this check as part of the alignment.
Or perhaps do you make a lot of right turns?

Is the outer edge "feathering" ... the front or rear edge of each tread pad curling up? If so it is an indication of a bad shock.

Vetteboy86 has a good point 9k is a good amount of miles. It wouldn't hurt to have them check it again. Before you take it in look at the shims between the frame and the upper control arm inboard side. Does it look like both left and right sides are equal ... same amount of shims? Also check to ensure they properly tightened the control arm nuts. I found one slightly loose not too long after I had my pickup aligned. It will play havoc with your camber, which sounds like what may be wrong with you car ... misadjusted camber.

Take a look at Vette Brakes and Products web page. They have some alignment settings that are a little different than stock. You can print the specs out and take them to your alignment shop and ask them if they will adjust to the non-stock settings ... some shops will and some will only align to the stock settings, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

:w

Show Me a Good pix of thous tires!! ( from top looking down) :upthumbs junk!!

some say the camber brace will stop that. most likely my next buy for my 86. just wating for another group sale from R-D... or if i could get a hold of one, make one for myself!

I have a set of SZ50's with nearly 30k miles on them and they haven't worn unevenly at all. If the car drives good, doesn't follow ruts in the road, doesn't have slack/play in steering your alignment is out. #1, toe-in is out of spec.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom