Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update 63 Project - Road to Top Flight...

1KULC7

Corvette
2014 Convertible
I have not posted in a while because of so many things going on... First I have just accepted a job working for the Federal Government in a high level position for DHS...US Customs and Border Protection...so I have been very busy with this...but for the part you really want to hear about, the Road to Top Flight, with my 63 Coupe...

As many remember in the past I posted almost three years of updates and photos of a frame off restoration on my 63 Coupe. Many came over to visit when I was at Carlisle and Ocean City, and I received many compliments about the car, and I thank each of you for taking the time to see the results of 3 years. But I still was not happy with a few items and felt in order to earn Top Flight for NCRS things would have to be improved.

As of March 15 the car went back into the shop and we are doing a lot more work. So here we go. First all the chrome and exterior trim was removed again...I found two spots on the paint that I did not like and we are going to shoot the car again. So the spots have been resanded and primed. In doing this, I am going to take the opportunity to dullen the door jambs and the hood jabs, as they are to glossy...this helps with NCRS points. I have found an original spare tire tube, howevers somebody clear coated it, removed the clear coat. Overall the tub is in good physical shape, but it seems to be bleached out because of age. To refinish it back to it original gray luster with those fiber hears I am going to use GRAY Shoe polish and reshine it...beleive it or not it works with no yellowing effect.

Replacing the side mirror to a dated one, and then tearing out the seats and redoing the carpet, replacing it with correct carpet, and doing the "toolbox" areas under the seats, repainting it.

Also, I found the outside window trim on the drivers door is from a 64 or later Corvette. Again the 63 used a one year part on the door trim. I have found this and replacing it. I removed the upper and lower A-arm and restored and repainted these...really didn't car for what I did before.

Got FOUR original 63 wheels and stripped them down, repaining and going to reinstall with BF Goodrich WW tires. Got an original 63 wheel for the spare, stripped that down, primed & repainted,,,SAE Gloss Black.

Replacing the parking lights, got the imports and they are wrong, go Trim Parts and they are better, but early 63's were a little different, but scarce to find the original.

Redoing the badging, especially the side, Early 63's through Feb used the same that was on the 62...so I need that.

Got a NEW gass tank and replacing all of the gas tank area, all new hardware.

Finally doing the grease pencil and stencil markings on body...

Oh yeah did I mention I will be replacing the two rear glass windows with new ones date coded to the ones on the car.

Replacing the two female latches, the hood support, and the battery....

All this has to be completed by May.... so we are off....

Collin

you are obsessed my friend!
your car would already have top-flighted. Now you are just going for a 100% score is all!!

:beer

Hi! Collin

You sure are setting the standards high for the Corvette restorer. Your 63 is just stunning. Hope to see it again this summer.

Good luck at the NCRS meet!

Ray

Thanks for your kind words.. I guess if I finish I won't have much to do..

I will post some photos soon...Collin

Collin, Congrats on taking her to the next level, or is it the final level? Can you really go any further after this? I hope to see this SWC in person some day. Definately in a league of it's own.

Collin

Just remember it suposed to be fun

hopefully this winter I will give the 66 the needed attention so I can get it in for some judging.

It seams you have a busy schedule but I would suggest getting a few days in as an OJ to get a feel how the judging goes and what the judges are looking for. I did it and plan on doing it again I learned so much the day I judged

Seems like the most fun I am having is restoring...however my personal attitude going into the judging process is to be a learning process. I want to have the judges evaluation so I can learn what needs to be improved. My only concern I have is along the way I have learned more then I ever thought I would about the 63 model year and what was correct... I have had judges look at the car, and they have provided good information that I have used, but some of the information was not correct. But hey, we all make mistakes, but at least I know were to go to get the information....

Its funny I posted on the NCRS board how I was using the judges manual as the gospel, and I was told by several NCRS members there are over 100 mistakes in the judges manual...so that is why anybody doing this needs to have alternate research. I have taken hundreds of photos of 63 cars that were survivors, and many of them have never been molested, so this has helped me with the overspray, nuts, bolts, etc.

I guess what gets me are certain parts (like other years) are not made or reproduced at all. This makes the scavanger hunt that much more exciting. So far I have managed to get everything I have needed, but in some case I have paid much more then what the piece was worth, but the price I paid was worth it to me.

Sorry to ramble, but I know MANY of you know exactly what I am talking about... Restoring or making it a restro rod, or just making it a street pro, all have their issues and rewards... I just love them all..:)

Collin

I can't wait to see what you do to the car after you get your top-flight. Once you get your award you can really customise the car to the way you like it.

Hmmmmm, I see orange shag carpet, Tuck & Roll upholstery on the seats and door panels in a bright orange, yellow, and black plaid pattern, big 20" pimpin' spinner wheels, hydrylic suspension so you can make the car bounce up and down, stereo with four 15" subwoofers to go "Boom-Boom" down the street, neon lights under the car, chrome curb feelers, chrome rocker molding that say in script "Collin's Ride", and of course the plastic rain gutters over the doors. We can't forget the big dice from the rear view mirror and bouncy-head figure mounted in the center of the dash.

Come on now ,admit it, THAT'S really what you want more than anything else isn't it? ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Collin,

Glad to hear the car is coming along so well! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Along with Barry's suggestions for additions to the car post judging, you can't forget to add the fart cans! 8" exhaust pipes, dude (and you might as well rip out that pesky old V-8 and put a 4 cyl. in it to get the maximum fart can effect)!

Yeah I got all of it, but the best part is I got the bobble heads of the Pep Brothers on the Dash...:L ...thats five extra points. Thanks all....

EBVette said:
My only concern I have is along the way I have learned more then I ever thought I would about the 63 model year and what was correct... I have had judges look at the car, and they have provided good information that I have used, but some of the information was not correct. But hey, we all make mistakes, but at least I know were to go to get the information....

Its funny I posted on the NCRS board how I was using the judges manual as the gospel, and I was told by several NCRS members there are over 100 mistakes in the judges manual...so that is why anybody doing this needs to have alternate research. I have taken hundreds of photos of 63 cars that were survivors, and many of them have never been molested, so this has helped me with the overspray, nuts, bolts, etc.

I guess what gets me are certain parts (like other years) are not made or reproduced at all. This makes the scavanger hunt that much more exciting. So far I have managed to get everything I have needed, but in some case I have paid much more then what the piece was worth, but the price I paid was worth it to me.

Sorry to ramble, but I know MANY of you know exactly what I am talking about... Restoring or making it a restro rod, or just making it a street pro, all have their issues and rewards... I just love them all..:)

63's are unique. There are so many running changes that what someone tells you is "correct" MIGHT NOT BE correct for your particular assembly date.

Drives you nuts. The 63-4 JG has many errors in it. Many, myself included, have tried and tried to get the errors revised, but lots of the misinformation keeps being included.

In all fairness, due to the running changes in 63, it's tough to include all of them. :) Chuck

100 errors in the 63 Judging Manual? I've purchased 2 of them over the years and I'm not sure there's even 100 things in there, let alone 100 mistakes! I was quite disappointed with it and didn't find it to be much of a help.

Worked on it this weekend. Finishing the front fascia. Found couple of bends in the radiator support on the bottom and fixed those. Under the fascia for some unknown reason is was cut out about 5 inches short not reaching the radiator support, Refiberglassed it and the front is perfect has nice line, sanded it down and now its ready for prime. Fixed couple other little issues on the side and in the parking light area, had a rather large scratch, so that is sanded down and ready to prime.

Next step is replacement of the GAS tank and all the associated hardware. Hope to get some before and afters of this.

Worked on the spare tire tub, and removed all the three coats of clear coat, back to the original glass. Looks a little bleached out, so I am using GRAY showpolish and the tub looks new. The clear coat puts too much of a shine on the tub, but the polish rubs into the glass, leaving the white hair stands white, but darkens the gray side. Gives in the new factory finish, more of a satin or dull gloss finish. Works great...:)

Slowly but surely we are going along. Sent out the upper and lower control arms and got them finished with correct rivets, they look really nice now. Also I have managed to purchase an original Type I jack and lug wrench, got them blasted and repainted.

So moving along....slow but surely...

Keep you informed....

Collin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom