Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update to "getting rid of electronic engine controls"

J

jon81

<<I've decided to dump the electronic engine controls and all of the pollution equipment on my 81. There's no pollution check in WV and none on the horizon.

I'm not looking for anything radical, just want some additional hp. I've already added a dual exhaust with Flowmaster 50's, Dewitts alum radiator with SPALs and Stewart stage two water pump. >>

Well, it's starting to look like Christmas again in my family room with all of the boxes lying around.

Here's where I'm at so far. I've decided to put together a torque motor, not high winding hp. Waiting for the Carter 625cfm carb to arrive but everything else is here... Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold, Hedman coated headers and Percys exhaust and collector gaskets, Davis custom curved HEI distributor, Comp 268H cam with matched hydraulic lifters, pushrods, springs, etc. and Magnum roller rockers, Comp double roller timing gear with aluminum cover, Fluidampr Streetdampr, March aluminum pulleys and covers on the crank, P/S, alternator, water pump and A/C clutch, lifter valley baffle, ARP studs, bolts, etc. everywhere.

I'm also working with a local machine shop on a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads. They're doing the calcultions on the compression numbers today to determine if I order the 72cc or 64cc with 180 runners. I'll use Manley Race Flow valves and ARP studs and I'll match and polish the ports myself. The compression has to stay below 9.0 to work with the 268 cam.

The bottom end is staying stock (for now). Probably do a 383 short block next winter to finish up the engine project.

It will be interesting to see if the Hedman headers will clear the stock starter...if not I'll add a mini starter to the list.

This combo should be good for about 375hp/400ftlbs torque at the crank, which is fine for how I'll use the car, plus it will run on 87 octane with no problem. I'll dyno it later in the spring to get exact numbers.

It's going to be two weeks or so before I get a chance to start getting everything put together. I'm keeping all of the original parts in the event I or a future owner want to put everything back the way GM made it (highly unlikely).

I also picked up a NOS front bumper emblem last week on Evil Bay after looking for one for the last year. Though I'd find one at Carlisle last year but none were to be found.

jon81- sounds like you're really going to do the job on her! I'm just in the process of getting rid of my elec. controls/smog stuff also. Just going with stock parts, though, no mods (rats!). Looks like you'll have a pretty stong setup! Good luck!
Dick:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom