Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

upgrade advice - '89 Vette

Hawk196

Corvette
1989 Triple black Convertible
I have a '89 vette that I've decided to invest some money in the engine.

I've seen some threads that state you can't just buy parts and install them (ie: cam, etc) and you have to set a goal on what you want to accomplish.

The goal I have for my car is to add some horse power and improve the low to mid range torque.

This is what my car has now. CAI, Borla catback exhaust, 2800 stall converter.

What I'd like top do:

cam set up/package (cam/lifters/rocker/springs/push rods). A mild/street cam.
New fuel pump, water pump and oil pump

Now here is where is gets interesting. My mechanic says if we do the cam, you're 16 bolts away from pulling the heads...then why not add some headers. I'm really not that knowledgeable with getting work done on the heads, but I think I'll do shorty headers.

I live in northern NJ, so a visit to Cartek for a custom tune is in the plans as well.

I really appreciate any thought/advice as I revive a car that I've had for 20+ years
thumbsup.gif

I've looked around the web at places like jegs, eckelers, summit, but I'd like to get recommendations for places to order from once I finally decide what parts to get.

So ideas on good part brands and some specs on parts(cam, etc) that would get me to that goal of 60+ HP and more low to mid torque would be great
cheers2.gif

Thanks,
Hawk196

Upgrade

I've always had good luck with Sumitt or Northern Auto Parts. Comp Cams extreme energy cams will give you a good selection of cams that are very streetable and still give you good vacum for brakes and things like your heater controls.

OK, after some research and good replies from members I've decided to go in this direction (remember this started with a leaky manifold and mushroomed, fix manifold, cam is right there, while doing the cam the heads are only 16 bolts away)

So here it is:

new manifold
cam & lifters
valve springs and roller rockers
a piece of exhaust pipe to replace cat (QQ plates, no emissions testing)
different gears
Dyno tune at Cartek(closest to Northern NJ)

The gears seem like a good upgrade to "wake it up"

I want to stay away from heads and headers(this is where the budget spins out of control)

Thoughts?

Now with those mods in mind, can you guys go into detail about specs(cam, etc..), brand/model and place to start ordering....money is burning a hole in my pocket

TIA

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom