Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Using Freon with leak seal ( OK or bad for the AC system )

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
96 was low on freon so added till guages said ok, but its blowing warm again and wondering if using freon with leak seal is ok to use ?
Thanx in advance
Gordon

96 was low on freon so added till guages said ok, but its blowing warm again and wondering if using freon with leak seal is ok to use ?
Thanx in advance
Gordon

No it is not. It usually doesn't work and any repair shop with a a/c evacuation and recharge machine will not work on your vehicle because it can damage their very expensive machines.
I don't recommend it and would not consider it. Repair it properly.

Alrighty then I guess that answers that. Thank you:w

How about using the dye to find out where the leak possibly is ?

How about using the dye to find out where the leak possibly is ?

That is a good idea and then check for leaks with a black light.

Okay guys, as a retired HVAC mechanic, if it ain't oil and if it ain't gas it don't belong. A system with dye, never use my gauges cause it don't come out. Get a leak detector and go over everything especially the access valves as they have a tendency not to seal well as they age. Rubber hoses can leak without leaving residual oil. Several sprays are available for leak detection. O-ring seal packages are available for autos on places like rockauto. The dye will never go away, remember that.

Okay guys, as a retired HVAC mechanic, if it ain't oil and if it ain't gas it don't belong. A system with dye, never use my gauges cause it don't come out. Get a leak detector and go over everything especially the access valves as they have a tendency not to seal well as they age. Rubber hoses can leak without leaving residual oil. Several sprays are available for leak detection. O-ring seal packages are available for autos on places like rockauto. The dye will never go away, remember that.

True, but I have had way too many false readings with a sniffer, I have always relied on visual with searching for oily areas and sprayed soapy water. Dye can be helpful, especially with an evaporator leak.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom