Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve Stem Question

hcolon

Corvette
1999 c5 coupe
Hello fellow C5'ers! Got a question for anyone who knows. Just bought Zo6 chromies for my 99 coupe and have the tire monitor system. Going with Zo6 sizes for tires and want to keep my tire pressure sensors activated. The valve stems are painted silver and would look funny with the chrome wheels. Can they be changed without damaging the sensor, or are they permanently attached? Want to go with chrome stems as well......
Herbie

I would be suprised if they can be changed. Have you looked into using chrome caps over the stems? Just a thought......
:beer :w

What do we do when we go to all chrome, HRE etc? use the silver painted stem? what is a stem cover cruzer82?
Herbie

hcolon said:
Hello fellow C5'ers! Got a question for anyone who knows. Just bought Zo6 chromies for my 99 coupe and have the tire monitor system. Going with Zo6 sizes for tires and want to keep my tire pressure sensors activated. The valve stems are painted silver and would look funny with the chrome wheels. Can they be changed without damaging the sensor, or are they permanently attached? Want to go with chrome stems as well......
Herbie

Hi Herbie/fellow Floridian,

Congrats on the Z06 chromies. They are good looking wheels.

The Tire pressure sensors are merely screwed onto the valve stem inside your wheel. You'll see them when the tire is removed.
They just screw right off and are relatively simple to swap out.
Just be careful with them.

Make sure the person is careful when taking your tires off your old wheels
and mounting them onto your chromies so that your sensors are not damaged.

Best regards and good luck with your C5!

:w Pedro

Pedro! Thanks my bro for the reply. I think they will add some bling without the big bucks. You gave me the answer I was looking for! Now, you say they screw off, but if I am not mistaken, valve stems generally come with the rubber grommet attached to prevent leaking. Where can I get chrome one's that screw into the sensor?? I see your from Plantation Florida, how's the rain?
herbie

hcolon said:
Pedro! Thanks my bro for the reply. I think they will add some bling without the big bucks. You gave me the answer I was looking for! Now, you say they screw off, but if I am not mistaken, valve stems generally come with the rubber grommet attached to prevent leaking. Where can I get chrome one's that screw into the sensor?? I see your from Plantation Florida, how's the rain?
herbie

Herbie,

I don't know where to get chrome valve stems.
I don't believe I've ever seen them.
Try Pep Boys, Bennett Auto Supply, or Mid America Designs.

When I replaced the oem wheels on my roadster, The Tire Rack sent me new valve stems with the wheels. They are polished stainless steel I believe.
If you call them, they will probably sell them to you.
Ask for Damon at Ext 643. Great guy. Tell him I said hello.

You should come out to the Tower Shops, the biggest cruise-in in south Florida. It's held every Friday night from 5 - 9pm.
Some people actually start arriving much earlier than that.

You'll see some pretty vettes (and every other kind of car) and get some ideas for mods.

Exit I-595 on University Drive and go South about 1/4 mile, make a left into the shopping center you can't miss it...about 600-700 cars on a good night.
$1.00 gets you in to the cruise-in or you can just park in front of The Home Depot.
Just park, meet some vetters, check out the cars, and have a good time.
Try to get there early (by 6:30). The later it gets the harder it becomes to find a parking spot.

Corvettes park mostly in the southwest corner of the lot.

BTW, our lawns are looking real good here, thanks to the rain!

Good luck,
Pedro

I just went through this. You don't want chrome stem covers (they wouldn't fit anyway). Contact West Coast Corvettes for a set of chrome sensor nuts -they cover the entire stem area. Be sure to mention that you have a '99, as later years use a different sensor style.

Thanks Mr. Lucky, just ordered them from West Coast! Exactly what I needed.
Herbie
P.S. Hey Pedro, will send you a pm th get together with you at the Tower
Shops! sounds like a good time. Let me get my wheels on first so I can show them off! My email is:
hcolon@bellsouth.net
Herbie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom