Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Vanity Mirror problem on visor

Bill Boyle

Corvette
2001 Millenium Yellow Coupe
When I install my sun shield I have to lower the visors to hold it in place. However, the vanity mirror on the passenger visor is no longer tight against the visor and the light comes on without the mirror being opened. Aside from using a dam rubber band to hold it tight, any suggestions on how to secure it? Did something fall out, like a special clip that holds it in place?

Thanks.

Bill

Can't give an exact answer to your problem, but on a previous vehicle I had the same problem. Instead of a rubber band I use two small pieces of velcro in the corners to hold it closed.

And yes, a vanity light can drain your battery if left unattended.

Follow-up on repair

With your suggestion, I used strips of velcro which I cut to hold the frame tight against the visor fabric. However, I noted that several of the plastic frame nubs were broken along the bottom. For those of you reading, the visor uses masonite as a backing. The nubs of the frame snap into the masonite and those nubs secure it in place. However, use of the vanity mirror puts strain on them and eventually they can break. When this happens any effort to open the vanity mirror will further move the entire unit thereby loosening the whole thing in the visor. I can only surmise that this is what happened to mine. So, with this loose condition, when I flipped the visor down to hold the sun shield, the light would come on. I also want to add that to solidfy the unit, I added large paper clips behind the mirror that now secures the fabric to the masonite at four points. Unless my passenger abuses the vanity mirrow, and I don't think that will happen, I think this is fixed. :)

With your suggestion, I used strips of velcro which I cut to hold the frame tight against the visor fabric. However, I noted that several of the plastic frame nubs were broken along the bottom. For those of you reading, the visor uses masonite as a backing. The nubs of the frame snap into the masonite and those nubs secure it in place. However, use of the vanity mirror puts strain on them and eventually they can break. When this happens any effort to open the vanity mirror will further move the entire unit thereby loosening the whole thing in the visor. I can only surmise that this is what happened to mine. So, with this loose condition, when I flipped the visor down to hold the sun shield, the light would come on. I also want to add that to solidfy the unit, I added large paper clips behind the mirror that now secures the fabric to the masonite at four points. Unless my passenger abuses the vanity mirrow, and I don't think that will happen, I think this is fixed. :)
i had the same problem, i just took the visors off and had them recovered with out the mirrors. i guess the mirrors were not that important to me;shrug.it cost me 20$ each at my local interior guy. so worth it

Hey Man, Just saw your post, sorry to be tardy with a reply. I had the same problem with the passenger vanity mirror on my 01. The method of securing the vanity housing to the visor is indeed a poor design. I went to Home Depot/Lowes and bought a roll of heavy duty doublepstick tape. I think they refer to it as either outdoor or marine use. This tape is thicker than your average double-stick. You need the extra thickness for it to work. Holds like a charm!!

Vanity mirror repair c-5

When I install my sun shield I have to lower the visors to hold it in place. However, the vanity mirror on the passenger visor is no longer tight against the visor and the light comes on without the mirror being opened. Aside from using a dam rubber band to hold it tight, any suggestions on how to secure it? Did something fall out, like a special clip that holds it in place?

Thanks.

Bill

I had the same problems with both mirrors. Thought about just replacing so checked ebay. As expected these things are not cheap ($160 - $200) so I decided I would attempt a repair. What did I have to loose. First of all I thought the job would be much easier if the mirror were sitting on my workbench. Attempted to remove from the car but no success. Did't try to hard as I did not want to damage anything else. The mirror & lights are held to the visor with very small plastic pegs which match up with small holes on the backside (a type of cheap masonite material) of the visor. These pegs apparently break very easy from age, ware, or whatever. In any case it is a very, very poor design by GM to say the least. *** Before any further steps are taken keep in mind that all of the electrical wire/lights are along the top. I drilled small holes from the backside through the very middle of the pegs creating a hole all the way to the front of plastic, yes, you will be able to see the holes on the front of vanity when cover is opened for use. It is extremely important to drill directly into the peg because these holes will line up with where the pegs were attached to the backside of the mirror in the masonite. You will see the broke pegs in the masonite and can be punched out easily. I purchased 12 smaller black button head screws ($2) from FASTENAL No. 6-32 X 1/2" BHSCS. These are tightened with a very small allen wrench and add a somewhat machined or different look to the vanity and will not be visible when the cover is closed. I used 4 along the bottom and 1 on either side towards the top of frame 7/8" down from the corner. All new 6 fasteners will match up with the factory holes in the masonite (be careful not to drill into the masonite - holes should remain their original size in order to hold the screws. --- Depending on your individual tastes you may find the appearance of the completed repair looks as good if not better than the original. *** If you have an extra couple of hundred laying around and a lot of spare time don't bother with this repair. JERRY M.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom