Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vehicle History

jracer49420

Corvette
1974 stingray
I just purchased a 1974 corvette. I would like to find out the history of this car. Can anyone tell me how I can do it? The vehicle number has only 13 digits and will not run a carfax.

Traditional legwork and sleuthing.

Do you have any original documents for the car? If so, you can contact the original selling dealer (if he still exists) and start tracing forward to the person who sold you the car.

The other option is to go backwards starting with the seller and hoping that each person along the way is alive, locatable, remembers the car and has enough information to connect you to the next link in the chain.

Other options include DMV lookups (if you have requisite information and $$ for them) and posting ads in NCRS newsletters (Driveline) requesting information about the car.

Best of luck and enjoy the search!

Welcome to the CAC!

I think Erik covered most ground, i'll just add this LINK, go there and Rob put some info together for Documenting a car..

:w
-Stefan

I know some dealer invoices are available fo 77. Got mine through the GM media archives. The strange twist to it shocked me a little. The car was sold from a New Jersey dealer sill in buisness. And was ordered by a GM employee at Linden Assembly. I too worked there retired now. He worked one line over from me. The car was only driven for 12 yrs. The last inspection was 1989. I got it in Sept. 2005. took care of all the safety issues and drove it all last summer. I am getting ready to paint it now.

I just purchased a 1974 corvette. I would like to find out the history of this car....

Documentation with the car or previous owners. Depending upon the privacy laws in your state, your DMV may allow a title search on the VIN.

Carfax won't help.

:)

If it was ever registered in the state where you bought it, just contact the State Department of Motor Vehicles. Through a little paper work and a couple of fees, I got a complete vehicular title history report on my 76 and traced it completely back to when it came into the state. A little proding and they were able to tell me from what state it came from. Then off to that state, and did the same. I have names and addresses of each owner, and there is/was a lot of them on mine. Unfortunately, none of them live at the addresses still :(

Dtermining the vehicles history is like searching for the Holy Grail. Many have tried few have succeeded. A lot of hard work and a lot of luck are needed unless you have some original paperwork.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom