Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VICTORY at last...a PKE story....

Zixxer

Corvette
1982 Red Coupe
FYI

Just wanted to share my joy at finally seeing my PKE light disappear and my fob finally working. After looking at dozens of forum messages, cleaning my door contacts with WD40, checking fuses, disconnecting the battery and every other voodoo act, I replaced the PKE receiver behind the dash with one I purchased from a salvage yard ($100.00). Works like a charm and I programmed by two fobs in about two minutes and I just had fun clicking the hatch release and walking back and forth to hear the doors lock and unlock. Wife thinks I'm crazy but it's like a new toy for me :)

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions, it was better then the GM manuals.

Rick

Congrats! A DIY repair job always feels good with success.

I'm happy for you on this. You probably have seen my post with a similar problem with no help yet. Looks like I may be headed for your solution but was hoping not.

It drove me crazy because I could never get into program mode. I even bought a second fob I didn't really need but it's nice to have a spare. The only other items are the antennas in the doors and the switches. I cleaned every thing that even looked like it was a switch and it didn't change anything. I didn't want to replace the receiver as it was a bit pricey but I watched eBay for anyone parting out a 93 to 96 and picked one up cheap. Guess it's just not an item worth listing but I know I'm not the only one that's replaced this item. Seems to be a weak point on cars that are not garaged or at least stay in the sun. The chimer above it didn't work either so I think they just get cooked under the dash and burn out.

I went through the exact same frustration that you describe and also fixed it by replacing the PKE receiver. Wasn't removing the dash fun??? I suppose that I got real lucky - when I was having the problem, someone was selling an new PKE receiver on ebay which I got for $50.

I knew there were more people having problems....the dealer said it was very rare that the receiver went out. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

I'm a pro at dash removal, I took it out to smooth down the front edges and warping, another time for the chimers, and then final the PKE.....it wont come out again unless I find a good replacement. :)

I did a good job fixing the existing dash but I would like to replace it since I've redone the entire interior at this point.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom