Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VIN number 1968

paulcleek

I'm looking at a 68 with VIN194678S406116. From what I've read this should be for a convertible; problem is the car's a coupe. I've heard before that there's a VIN on the frame somewhere near the transmission. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks,
Paul

My book (Corvette ID Numbers) and it agrees that body code 67 is a convert. 37 is coupe. The VIN is on the frame in 2 places,
1). left side rail slightly forward of the #4 body mount bracket.
2). Also found on the left side rear kickup above the wheel area slightly forward of the #3 body mount bracket. The book uses "typical" when describing the location. I don't know if either can be seem with the body on.

To clarify:

The #4 body mount is the one behind the rear wheel; the frame VIN is centered on the front edge of that bracket, on the top surface of the frame. Pull the rear wheel and clean the top of the frame and you should be able to see it with a small mirror.

The second location is about 12" forward of the #3 body mount (the one between the door and the rear wheel opening), but this one can't be seen with the body on.

:beer

I have never heard of GM making a mistake on a VIN#. In all likelihood you are looking at a car that is carrying a fake VIN. It is probably a stolen car that carrys a VIN plate from a wrecked car.

Most thieves were smart enough to make sure the body style was the same. It probably occurred many years ago when wrecked titles were more easily obtained. My advice would be to tell the seller then run like hell.

Like red70 said.Stop looking and run away as fast as you can.I would also ask the seller why the vin don't match.He might be unaware also.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom