Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vintage Air a/c conversion

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I will start the Vintage Air Gen II Compact Super Cooler (that is a mouth full) in about two weeks. Waiting on a few parts and my schedule to balance out.

September is going to be a whirlwind month for me!

I will document the whole thing and post to my photopoint account. Right now all the basics are in place, and I needed to get a little more body work done before I could start. After I cut and mount the brackets and firewall holes, it all comes back out for the final paint work.

I know that Redmist has already moved forward on his.

Ecklers is now selling a conversion that hooks on to the bottom of the stock heater unit and is exposed to the passenger compartment. The complete price is right at $1,000. They do not have any photos up on the web page yet.

I am right at $850 less the compressor right now.

So.....stay tuned.

Vintage Air

Hey guys! Just to let everyone know, it might be cheaper to deal with Vintage Air directly. They have a dealer here in my town. I have nothing against Eckler's. As a matter of fact, I have purchased products from them, when it is reasonably priced. It should be known, though, that they do increase the price of another retailers product so they can make a healthy profit. Their rebuilding of rear trailing arms is actually taken care of by Van Steel, for example. Shop around and you will be rewarded.--Bullitt.

Good point.

I actually bought my stuff from VA direct. They said sometimes you can buy cheaper from a local dealer depending on stock and incentives. I do like dealing with the source.

They told me that the new Ecklers C3 conversion is based off the Vintage Air C2 design. It works pretty good, but sticks out under the dash.

I guess that is a great alternative to going to the extremes that I have.

I saw that Ecklers c-2 design. IMO I would rather break my back installing the Gen II then to have to look at that unit.
Trust me I am not hung up on aesthetics but that unit looks suboptimal.
(I'm trying to be polite after reading Rob's posting on the Tyla matter. :))

I agree, it is not worth having clunky misplaced system just to have cold air flowing. A little extra time and trouble and you get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.. Of course old hot rodders have been doing this(doing it their own way) for nearly have a century.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom