Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vortec intake with a late C3-hood?????

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
A buddy wants to put a set of vortec-heads on the motor of his 1980 Corvette, and use an aftermarket intake manifold with his OEM Q-Jet carb:
the Edelbrock catalog says that their Performer vortec, Performer RPM vortec, and RPM Air-Gap vortec will not fit on Corvettes with the stock hood.....
;shrug

Has any Forum-member used any of the Edelbrock/vortec intakes on a late ('80-'82 ) C3 while retaining their stock, low-profile hood, and if-so, what modifications were needed?
;help

Thanks-in-advance!!!!!
:beer

Z

zgator

I think they mean STOCK hood as in pre,what 78.Anyway your 80 is like my 82 and we have the cowl hood.I'm pretty sure it will fit,my only experence is with a 71 Camaro hood(ie,no clearance)I put the vortec heads and edlebrock intake with their q-jet and it fits.I don't think the air gap will.Our hoods offer atleast 2in more clearance;shrugDo the clay test first.

Corvette
76 Coupe
vortec heads and vortec Performer fit my stock 76 L-48 hood. only using 2 inch air cleaner element. could use drop down and a 3 inch.

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
I'll ask him to supply us with a picture from the under-side of his hood, to see if the carb will fit 'up' inside any portion of the cowling, and also have him perform a 'clay-test', to see how-much room he has with the OEM intake:
I think Edelbrock lists their vortec intakes @ 4.72" pad-height, but I am unsure what that dimension is on an L-48 intake.....
;shrug

Crimson Thunder

Corvette
1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
If he is not going to use the stock air cleaner and is going with an 14 inch open air cleaner,K&N makes a 2 3/4in tall filter that will make up the difference.

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
..... will ALL of the Edelbrock vortec intakes mount a Q-Jet w/o using an adaptor-plate?
:confused

Crimson Thunder

Corvette
1970 Marboro Maroon Convertible
The Performer Vortec can use both square and spread bore carbs w/o an adapter.Performer RPM is square bore only.

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
, but I am unsure what that dimension is on an L-48 intake.....
;shrug
Typical OE L48 cast iron Qjet intake (ie
c/n 3973460 for lowhood base '71 L48) tallest pad height is at rear = Rpad = 4.375"
------------------------------------------------------------------
For comparison ... these two aftermarket Alum intakes fit any C3 hood, Qjet and regular heads

Intake Manifold, Weiand alum. p/n 8004 Rpad = 4.00"

Intake Manifold, Edelbrock p/n 2101 Rpad = 4.60"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have for sale a slightly used Alum intake for Vortec sbc heads & Qjet w/ NO egr ... Pro Products p/n 52007 ... Rpad = 4.25" ....... mine's in perfect shape... $90 firm.

I guarantee this intake is AOK.
It should fit any C3 hood but I cannot guarantee hood fit.
I do not ship outside contiguous 48 states; too much hassle.
Email me thru this forum only if serious.

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
Thanks for the info, and the offer, Jack, but I'm told my friend ordered the heads/intake in kit-form from Scoggin-Dickey Performance on Tuesday 3 July, with the intake being an RPM Air-Gap vortec:
SDP had a liberal return policy, and told him if the intake/carb doesn't fit (he says he also decided to go with a Holley carb ), they'll accept the intake & ship him the Performer, as-long-as the Air-Gap hasn't been bolted-down.

He is thinkingthe car will be back-on the road by next weekend (14 July ), and once he tells me how I went, I'll try to share as-much info as I can.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom