Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortex Ram Air

PLRX

I installed the Vortex Ram Air yesterday. I love :mad the way the vendors take pictures and show how easy installation will be. It shows that it may takes 25 minutes to do, it took me over four hours to get it done. I went to hell and back by just removing the radiator shrub. "Love those three 7mm screws". The rest was easy and at the end I'm satisfied.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Adjustable Pressure regulator is next

It is good to see you were able to install the unit. I think it took me and my brother about an hour to do. We left the shroud on the car, and cut it with a dremel tool. That worked good. Either way the end result is worth all the agony you dealt with. Now we can really here our cars sucking air from under the nose.

I cannot access picture 2.

I know what you are saying about the three screws on either side. I put a new radiator in mine (original one went 81,000 miles) in the spring. Those three screws drove me to drink. :mad And I don't drink. :D At least not on a regular basis. But, I think I did something to alleviate the screw problem in the future.

I reversed where the clips were. So, now I can access the screws from in front of the car by the front of the a/c condensor. Next time I will spend no time at all taking the suckers out!

All in all, are you happy with the way the unit is working for you?

Save The Wave! :w

do you guys notice a difference at all with the Ram Air?

I noticed a difference on mine. Not so much off idle, but when you get moving the L98 dogs out, and this seemed to help. It all helps, but is more noticeable when you get to speeds above 30 I would say, and that is where we need the most help.

Alot of guys will put the K & N air filter on and cut the lid which they say is good for 5 hp, so I say the ram air has to be worth 15 to 20 hp.

LT4Man: Yes I'm happy with it. On those screws for next time I'll know what to do but I hope there will be no next time.

By the way, I was thinking on putting up for sell the K&N filter and the air cleaner cover but what can I get for them? Is it worth to sell or just trash them...trash comes tomorrow ;LOL

I dont think they would be worth selling. You could always put them in the box with all the other old vette stuff.

You know what is amazing? The factory could have put those screws facing the correct way from the get-go! But, nooooooooooooooooooooooo. :mad

As far as the old parts: I never throw factory parts away. I put them in a box for the next owner. Not that they would ever use them. Strictly a sales tool that closes the deal! They think if you are hoarding the old parts, you MUST be obsessive about the rest of the Vette.

Gregory

lt4man said:
You know what is amazing? The factory could have put those screws facing the correct way from the get-go! But, nooooooooooooooooooooooo. :mad

As far as the old parts: I never throw factory parts away. I put them in a box for the next owner. Not that they would ever use them. Strictly a sales tool that closes the deal! They think if you are hoarding the old parts, you MUST be obsessive about the rest of the Vette.

Gregory

LT4Man:

You know I do most of my work and there are few things I wonder factory could installed better.
  • O2 sensors facing out
  • A drain plug for the rear axle and transmission
  • I'd like to meet the inventor of the Optic-Spark...He must be a man with four PHD but no common sense. The LS1 one did it right
  • Camber Brace, they do flex and is not the aging process
  • Steel brake line
  • all the upgrades? They should already installed, drill/slotted rotors, K&N filter, better exhaust, bigger MAF etc
......got to go....fuel pressure regulator awaiting for me

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Done!
I put the pedal to the metal and this baby and it shifted to 2nd while spinning the wheels (5500 RPMS) Now I know why the LT4 GS came with 315/40ZR17 those would reduce wheel spinning. I guess 315 meant nothing to the ZR1's LT5

Put the ram air on my 87 a few weeks back. I went the approach of leaving the shroud on and still took me 45 mins. But definately worth the results. slight knuckle bust was received from a slip, but I too grabbed a drink to put the part on. Good stuff though!

I always save the old parts. I pulled off the original LT5 plug wires and boxed them up. They are EXPENSIVE now.

PLRX787 said:
Done!
I put the pedal to the metal and this baby and it shifted to 2nd while spinning the wheels (5500 RPMS) Now I know why the LT4 GS came with 315/40ZR17 those would reduce wheel spinning. I guess 315 meant nothing to the ZR1's LT5

Will spin through 1st and second with mine. By the way 315/35ZR17's. That's why I went to the F1's.

JimVette said:
Will spin through 1st and second with mine. By the way 315/35ZR17's. That's why I went to the F1's.

Yeah, F1s are newer technology. By the way Ill start a new thread on this but

What is the proper PSI setting for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

I set mine to 41 lbs, with the vacuum line to the AFPR disconnected. I don't know how much difference it would be for your LT1.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom