Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning Chime Not Working

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
I asked this a looonnggg time ago but no one had any ideas. Since it's been a while, I'm hoping someone else may have experienced this or have some insight.

My warning chime in the dash doesn't work. Sometimes I can barely hear it and other times not at all. This is the chime that dings for open door, DIC warnings, etc... Since I can sometimes barely hear it I'm thinking that the noise maker itself may be loose or shorting but I don't know where it's located so I don't want to rip out the dash not knowing where I'm going.

Any ideas on what's wrong and where the chime is actually located?

Thanks!

- Eric:w

quote=Eric;844996]I asked this a looonnggg time ago but no one had any ideas. Since it's been a while, I'm hoping someone else may have experienced this or have some insight.

My warning chime in the dash doesn't work. Sometimes I can barely hear it and other times not at all. This is the chime that dings for open door, DIC warnings, etc... Since I can sometimes barely hear it I'm thinking that the noise maker itself may be loose or shorting but I don't know where it's located so I don't want to rip out the dash not knowing where I'm going.

Any ideas on what's wrong and where the chime is actually located?

Thanks!

- Eric:w[/quote]

LH_Rear.jpg

Make sure battery is disconnected before unplugging or plugging in the cluster.

Think I found where it's located last night. Very back left of the instrument cluster under the white shield is a speaker about 2 inches in diameter, has a small two- wire connector, about 3/8" wide.

GM post this warning if you have your cluster out:

Notice: Whenever the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) is removed from the vehicle, DO NOT set the IPC on its face for more than 15 minutes or damage to the fluid filled air core gages may result.

Started at my right elbow progressing to the nuts holding the steering column up removing things. The cluster has an electrical connector on the back left side, one tab to press down and pull straight out, my wire had enough length to wiggle the cluster out of the dash and left of the steering wheel, if you have the HUD, will be a small flat fragile connector at the rear top center. Be careful I left a scratch in the leather of the steering wheel. There are some good pictures on the Internet with people removing their i/p cluster. I'm thinking temporarily adding the "Green Knob" cutoff switch to this one, just have to reset fobs and few other items, as I'm chasing various gremlins.

:beer
Oddly some of the newer cars have the ability to adjust the chime level via a radio preset button.

Andy

Think I found where it's located last night. Very back left of the instrument cluster under the white shield is a speaker about 2 inches in diameter, has a small two- wire connector, about 3/8" wide.

GM post this warning if you have your cluster out:

Notice: Whenever the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) is removed from the vehicle, DO NOT set the IPC on its face for more than 15 minutes or damage to the fluid filled air core gages may result.

Started at my right elbow progressing to the nuts holding the steering column up removing things. The cluster has an electrical connector on the back left side, one tab to press down and pull straight out, my wire had enough length to wiggle the cluster out of the dash and left of the steering wheel, if you have the HUD, will be a small flat fragile connector at the rear top center. Be careful I left a scratch in the leather of the steering wheel. There are some good pictures on the internet with people removing their i/p cluster.

:beer
Oddly some of the newer cars have the ability to adjust the chime level via a radio preset button.

Andy
Thanks for the info, Andy! Sounds like I have a project for next weekend. I'm hoping it's just the wiring to the speaker since it chimes sporadically and low at times.

- Eric:w

Thanks for the info, Andy! Sounds like I have a project for next weekend. I'm hoping it's just the wiring to the speaker since it chimes sporadically and low at times.

- Eric:1

Word of small warning, must have bumped the filament in one of the bulbs on the rh cluster causing it to be dark as it was working before I messed with it, one bulb and socket was missing caused two of the buttons to be dark. Wish I had ordered a few of these: http://www.oznium.com/corvette-c5-led (Notice the base is black!) rh cluster has three bulbs and seems like lh cluster has four maybe three different color bases.

I gotta start using my camera again, can't remember like I used to.:confused

Andy

Word of small warning, must have bumped the filament in one of the bulbs on the rh cluster causing it to be dark as it was working before I messed with it, one bulb and socket was missing caused two of the buttons to be dark. Wish I had ordered a few of these: http://www.oznium.com/corvette-c5-led (Notice the base is black!) rh cluster has three bulbs and seems like lh cluster has four maybe three different color bases.

I gotta start using my camera again, can't remember like I used to.:confused

Andy
Thanks for the warning. And thanks for the link, that is pretty cool! Why can't I come up with something like that. - Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom