Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning lights

Tom Maine

Corvette
1991 Yellow Converible
I am a new owner of a 1991 C-4 convertible. The "check engine soon" light comes on intermittently and appears to be a code for the egr valve. Is there any ting that can be done to clear up this problem. Resetting the computer produces the same result, it goes off for a while then back on. Also the low oil light comes on even after and oil changee. This comes on intermittetenly also. Sometimes after driving 5 miles some times after 200. Any help would be appreciated. Some local mechanics that have checked out the car say there appears to be nothing wrong and to ignore the lights or put tape over the dash where the code comes up.

Welcome aboard, Tom. The C4 guys will look after you.

Enjoy the :CAC

Tom Maine said:
I am a new owner of a 1991 C-4 convertible. The "check engine soon" light comes on intermittently and appears to be a code for the egr valve. Is there any ting that can be done to clear up this problem. Resetting the computer produces the same result, it goes off for a while then back on. Also the low oil light comes on even after and oil changee. This comes on intermittetenly also. Sometimes after driving 5 miles some times after 200. Any help would be appreciated. Some local mechanics that have checked out the car say there appears to be nothing wrong and to ignore the lights or put tape over the dash where the code comes up.

The EGR valve is a common problem... you'll just need to replace it. If you search for it here, you should find better info on it, if not someone will chime in that has replaced it.

Do NOT replace ANY parts until getting the exact code and doing some diagnostics. Replacing the EGR valve or any other component based on a blinking Service Engine light is foolish.

There was a thread here or on the Technical Discussion forum just a few days ago that had a link to a site that gave clear instructions how to use a paper clip to retrieve the trouble code. If you can't find the thread, you can go to most any auto parts store and buy a Haynes Manual that will also explain which pins to short and how to read the blinking light to determine the code. Post the code(s) here and we will help you from there.

Good luck,

Any "mechanic" who tells you to remove the lights or cover them is not somebody I would want to touch my car! The CEL ligh is on for a reason and you do need to take action.

Take the car to a reputable shop who can use a scan tool to pull the code and fix any problems properly. The paperclip method work too, but I would not waste my money on a Haynes manual if you intend to do any work on the car by yourself. While it may be useful to find codes for your current problem, it is not an adequate repair manual. Go to www.helminc.com and purchase a factory GM service manual for your 91. It's the same book that the dealer service techs have for their use. The manual is written well enough for DIY'ers to be able to diagnose and repair lots of problems.

I CERTAINLY agree that the factory manuals are far superior to a Haynes manual, however the factory manuals cost more than four times as much. For a DIYer, the Haynes manual actually has some general information that the factory manuals lack. The factory manual also lacks the poor boy paper clip test code method.

I have both for my Vette, but I got by for awhile with nothing more than a $17 Haynes manual. It is well worth the price.

I also agree that you do NOT want to leave your car in the hands of a tech that recommends that you just tape over or remove the check engine light. He might be okay for an oil change or a wash job, but my confidence in that tech ends right there.

If you have a pocketful of money, just take it to a good tech and tell them to fix it. If you are on a budget, the best way to approach this problem is read the method of drawing a code shown in the Haynes manual and do some study. If you have questions, post them here and we will help.

Have a great day,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom