Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water Spots..... or worse

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
If there are links to previous responses to this query, please point me in the right direction. My beautiful (new) 2002 Torch Red Vert was in pristine condition when I bought her. The paint was flawless without a blemish in the paint/clear anywhere. So I happily take a 3000 mi road trip to break her into my kind of driving when I end up in Baton Rouge, LA. It rained..... and rained. When I woke up one morning and went out to wipe off the water I saw these hideous spots all over the hood, rear panel and trunk lid. When I got home a week later no matter how I clean and wax the car, so far, nothing has gotten these spots out of my paint/clear. I have been using Meghuires Gold Liquid Wax. It helped a little. What products do the C5 experts recommend for me to try? Any pointers are always greatly appreciated.

Thx much...............:D nut

I once parked in a municipal garage and this funky salty stuff dipped from the ceiling. I had to use vinegar and a rag to get it off. Sounds like it was like really hard water or something.

Try that and/or clay bar. Hope that helps!

The first step would be to clay bar the panels that have the spots. When clawing the paint you want to make sure that you keep the area lubed with the detail spray.

You've actually made your situation worse by waxing the paint. Wax is a protectant. You never use wax to "repair" anything, only to protect. Polish is what is used to repair paint, however, your situation calls for claying as the first step as others have suggested. If you don't protect your paint then your paint will subjected to this type of damage.

The first thing that you need to do is strip all the wax off the car as that wax is protecting the water spots. You can do this by using some Dawn dish washing liquid to wash the car. Dawn will strip all the wax off the car so you NEVER want to use it at any other time. After the wax has been removed, claying is your next step. Clay will also strip the wax off the car but you will dirty up the clay faster by doing it that way. You will find out that clay is expensive so you don't want to dirty it up unnecessarily.

I made a video that may help you understand how clay, polish and wax work to help care for your paint.

How The Junkman Removes Bird Dropings and Love Bugs - YouTube

Thanks to all for your responses and to Junkman for the Vid. Looks like some cleaning, claying and re-waxing is instore for me this week. Good thing I have nothing else to do. :D I will update with the results in the next few days. :thumb

Cheers............. nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom