Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! We now call her winky!

Jay Janovic

Corvette
1984 c4 350/cross fire FI original red hard top/co
Good mornining 2 all my new found vette heads :). May be some can ;help me? I am having trouble with the driver side head light. If I disconnect the power to it ,I can roll it up manualy and it stay's up thus my wife and I have given her the nick name winky!:L. When I plug the power back in to it ,it retracts. I was told possibly it is a grounding problem?If this is the case where on the assembly is the ground for that head? I have tried to trace the wiring but when I follow the wire caseing I get lost :confused has anyone else had this problem, and can you ;help? The passanger side work's without a problem. Thank's 4 everyones time for this matter

jay.

Good mornining 2 all my new found vette heads :). May be some can ;help me? I am having trouble with the driver side head light. If I disconnect the power to it ,I can roll it up manualy and it stay's up thus my wife and I have given her the nick name winky!:L. When I plug the power back in to it ,it retracts. I was told possibly it is a grounding problem?If this is the case where on the assembly is the ground for that head? I have tried to trace the wiring but when I follow the wire caseing I get lost :confused has anyone else had this problem, and can you ;help? The passanger side work's without a problem. Thank's 4 everyones time for this matter

jay.
You either have a bad relay,or a bad gear in the motor!! On a 84 there are 3 headlamp relays,1 controls the other 2 ,little square box's about 1 1/4 inches!! There on the left front wheel house or frame rail behind the bumper!!:upthumbs

Thank's for your help ! Would it be advisable to replace all the relay's?

J.

We call her winky!

Thank's GMJunkie:upthumbs. If by replacing the relay will it cause the other head to give me problems? , or would you advise to replace all 3 relay's and if so how much do they run? Thank's for all your time and knowledge.

Wink'ys owner J.

Thank's GMJunkie:upthumbs. If by replacing the relay will it cause the other head to give me problems? , or would you advise to replace all 3 relay's and if so how much do they run? Thank's for all your time and knowledge.

Wink'ys owner J.

This will only work if you have another friend with a Vette... but I'd ask to borrow someone else's relays and test to see if things work properly using their relays. If it works with the all three borrowed relays, try each one so that you find the bad one. You'll know really quickly if it one or all.

Mark yours with big Xs so that you don't accidentally give a friend your relays if they are bad!

Thank's for the info,do you know basicly what the relay's will cost me?

your new friend winky's dad.

Thank's for the info,do you know basicly what the relay's will cost me?

your new friend winky's dad.
The last one I bought for a 84 was around $16.00-$20.00!! Under a plastic cover on the wheel house (2 SCREWS/Hex)you can look at the relays 1 has 4 wires (That one I don't think is bad Yet) 2 with 5 wires swap those 2 with each other!! If the Lt or Rt relay is bad,Now the left motor should run up and down and the right one won't!! If this don't change the sides the 4 wire Relay is bad!! PS grounds are on top of the frame rails about under the lights,Clean them first!!:upthumbs

I have never worked on these, but from what junk said I would see if you can switch the two secondary relays to check if the problem follows the relay. From past experience with GM I would venture to guess those two relays are the same.

Glenn
:w

Looks like Junk beat me to it.

Thank's 4 the imput When I figure which one is bad I will get back to you like I said thank's for all your imput.

Jay

Thank's again I realy appreaciate the info. I will check the ground first, then the relay's.
When I find out the prob, I will get back 2 you. Thank's again

J.

Carry her away!

Thank you to all for the input you gave me on "Winky " I have another question in regarding towing the Vette. I am moving to Northern Fl, and want to know if it is recomended to tow her behind my 96 Ram on a car dolly?I know flat bed would be better but cannot find one to rent! If I have to buy one (which I am trying to avoid doing due to limited income)how much can I expect to pay for one used and where would anyone suggest to get a used one from?
Again thank's for everyones support .

Jay:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom